DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   feedback for prewedding film yet to be shown (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/466478-feedback-prewedding-film-yet-shown.html)

Susanto Widjaja October 26th, 2009 07:08 AM

feedback for prewedding film yet to be shown

Hi guys,

I've just finished editing rough cut for a prewedding film that we shot months ago for a client.

The film will be shown in their reception this coming saturday. I still have time to make a few changes.

Any comments will be much appreciated!

password: pc_jamesthao

Thanks in advance!!!

Santo

Kevin Lewis October 26th, 2009 08:31 AM

That was fantastic! Did you use any external lighting for the indoor shots?

Stephen J. Williams October 26th, 2009 08:43 AM

Santo....

My vimeo player played the entire movie choppy... But it was so good that I didn't let that stop me from finishing it.

I would love to do something like that one day. You always have the best "sets" to work with. First a clothing store, now a bar/restaurant... There going to love it!

Steve

Kevin Lewis October 26th, 2009 03:31 PM

I'm also wondering, what type of camera was used for the opening scene, and what were the camera settings?

Matt Barwick October 26th, 2009 04:28 PM

Beautiful Santo. It's going to be very, very well received. One of these days please try and film and share the guest reactions when one of these premieres.

Only thing that caught my eye is the opening title around 0:20. It should probably be "based on A true love story" instead of "based on true love story" - just a thought.

Is this all MK2 or did you mix it up with the letus?

Great job!

Matt.

Susanto Widjaja October 26th, 2009 05:49 PM

Thanks for commenting guys!

kevin: yes we do use external lighting on indoor shots. you just need to have them in order to get proper lighting.

Stephen: its based on true story, so you just need to find the corresponding place to their story :P

mattt: we shot all in mark 2. Thanks for pointing out about the typo. The client also mentioned that. English is not my first language :P

so nothing jarring or anything that you guys think might need to be changed???

the groom said that he didn't like the jump cut of him opening the bottle and pouring the wine... he wanted a clean shot... hmmm... but I LOVE JUMP CUTS... :(

Santo

Matt Barwick October 26th, 2009 06:02 PM

Yeah Santo - I did actually notice the cuts between the 2 pours - left and right and it looked a little 'not right' so you might want to look at that.

BTW - You've got a groom talking to you about jump cuts? :)

Susanto Widjaja October 26th, 2009 06:27 PM

lol

matt, the groom was not describing the situation as jump cut.. but rather "odd" cuts..

I'll have a look into it :P

Santo

Louis Maddalena October 26th, 2009 09:35 PM

I liked it. I just think i would have liked it more if you had audio (the bride and groom actually speak) than just show sub titles when they did. I don't know if you chose to go with the sub titles because they couldn't act or if it was a choice in post production, but if you have the audio recorded try putting it in and seeing how it looks.

Susanto Widjaja October 26th, 2009 11:08 PM

Hi Louis,

I storyboarded it that way because I think its more touching with the subtitle. also it is much harder for non-actors to act with dialog...

I think its a personal preference but now I don't have the clean audio so unfortunately can't really compare the two :P

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Santo

Kuswendy Yasukin October 30th, 2009 01:07 PM

Love it

Susanto,

I love the color, the mood, cutting, the storyline, camera works and the proposal scene is excellent, but I have to agree with Lois in terms of the audio,

here is my personal comment though I was a little bit distracted on the conversation scene, a bit part of me would love to hear the voice as they have their little chat, it feels like something is missing, it feels like we as the viewer were driven away from the movie itself.

my apologize if I made mistake :) but overall your movie WORKS fine in communication your message!

Regards Bro,

Kuswendy

Kevin Lewis October 31st, 2009 09:25 AM

I think that adding the audio would have changed the whole vibe. I think its great as is.

Stephen J. Williams October 31st, 2009 09:33 AM

I'm a fan of the subtitles as well... The audio wouldn't have done anything for me.

Stephen J. Williams October 31st, 2009 12:26 PM

Santo... Whats the name of the text that you use the intro of most of your videos? Also let us know how everyone responded to your video at the wedding.

Steve

Susanto Widjaja November 1st, 2009 12:09 AM

Kevin, Stephen: we have the same preference then :)

Stephen: the font is called function. I don't know where i got them. I think its from one of the font packs that I bought a long time ago.

The respond from the audience was great!! everyone loved the short film and most of them said they have never seen anything like it on a wedding reception. I guess its a good thing and we're very proud to be able to contribute in entertaining the guest in some way :)

By the way, the film is now replacing the old file on vimeo with no password protection anymore. I've done some minor changes on it including getting rid of the jump cut at the start. I think its much better now.

Santo
Santo