7d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Major Player

7d

I posted it over here and not in the 7D section just because it is more wedding related question.

I hear people using fast lenses like f1.8 and 1.4 and I wander how they manage to get things in focus. What I understand is the smaller the F stop, less focus area you have.
so what do you use it for and in what situations?
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Focusing can be rather difficult with the 5D mark ii (similar to the 7D as you know). The more open your aperture is (like f2.8 opposed to f22) the more difficult it becomes focusing. You will have to buy a few different lenses if you want to shoot with the 7D... You will also need an external audio recorder since the record time is only 12 minutes and has no adjustable audio levels. On my 5D I either shoot at an f4 or f5.6 so focusing isn't that difficult but you have to shoot with a higher iso inside the sanctuary because lighting can typically be somewhat dim.

On closeups of the bride putting on makeup and what not I like using a shallower depth of field (f2.8 or more open)

hope this helps
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Don't shoot wide open, focus to infinity when possible, and use the LCD 5x and 10x magnification feature. When you can't do any of these, you're stuck using the markings on the lens.

There's no big trick, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. Then practice again. And... you get the picture.

I try to keep my aperture at at least f/5.6. Not only is shooting at f/2.8 and lower trouble when it comes to focusing, but the more you do it, the more cliche the shallow depth of field shots get.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Trustee

Dror,

The 5d/7d are absolutely phenomenal in low light with the fast lenses. This is especially good when the lights go down at the reception. I now back up my other stuff because smaller sensors are practically useless when compared to the DSLR.

This is the first shoot I tried with the 5d2, using a 50mm f1.4 (set at 1.4 the entire time). Things I learned:

- You don't always need to shoot wide open - though bokeh (areas of blur) is addictive. Some of this stuff is 'blown out'.
- I shot this before I learned about the 5x and 10x magnification feature - which are a huge help.
- Don't use these units handheld.
- the rolling shutter hates flash photograghy.
- While more practice is better, you can get decent images 'out of the box'.

This was a family wedding so there was no pressure. The 5d/7d make a great compliment to 'video' cameras. Some guys can use them exclusively for weddings - but not me.

Old November 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Infinity

thanks for all the replys

So if you on infinity on a 1.8f- 50 and you are about 15ft away , will you get all around sharp image?
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Dror,

Not so simple... this is 1080p after all so out of focus shows up really well. So if you want to shoot at infinity and not worry about focus, you're going to have be stopped down further than f1.8, in which case you might not have enough light to shoot.

However, the question did get me to wondering. So here is the result. Bear in mind that the sensor on the 7d is smaller which would produce deeper DOF, though how much so?..

Old November 13th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I love working with a narrow depth of field (with any camera). Shooting wide open (a low number) and on a long lens (from far away) give you a great compressed look with a narrow depth of field. It's very flattering.

I find I need to be on a tripod if I'm going to shoot that way. If I'm working hand held and there is more action I will use a smaller opening (higher number) so I can keep the subject in focus.

Decide what look works for the moment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques