DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anyone using Cranberry discs for project delivery? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/468911-anyone-using-cranberry-discs-project-delivery.html)

Jeff Kellam December 4th, 2009 10:01 AM

Anyone using Cranberry discs for project delivery?

I was wondering if anyone was using or offering Cranberry discs to deliver wedding projects?

What do you think?

Cranberry DiamonDisc(tm) - The 1,000 Year DVD

Dusty Jenson December 4th, 2009 10:42 AM

Wow...that's EXPENSIVE! I can't burn my own discs (unless I purchase a $1,500 burner), $35 per disc, bundles of software and monthly services. IDK...sounds like a rip-off. Maybe not, but how are any of us to know that these things will really last for 10 centuries??

Also, Blu-Ray will soon be the standard IMHO. Are these discs compatible with a BD player?

Chris Davis December 4th, 2009 10:59 AM

It's a gimmick, but then I could see offering it to clients as your own money making gimmick.

Here's an article from Wired Magazine that makes a good point - when CDs first came out, they were ballyhooed as "indestructible" and would "last forever". I don't see the "DiamondDisc" claims as having any more credence than the original CD claims.

Jeff Kellam December 4th, 2009 11:29 AM

Yeah, it almost borders on a scam. And they don't (probably can't) offer Blu-Rays. I wonder if they are more scratch resistant too? Although that's a human error to get a scratch.

What's it cost to get a few discs pressed at a disc production house?

As far as playback in 1,000 years, you will probably be able to just snap a picture of an optical disc with the then current iphones mega resolution camera and grab all the data without even having a currently thought of player.

Chris Davis December 4th, 2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 1456100)
What's it cost to get a few discs pressed at a disc production house?

I've never seen replication offered for quantities less than 300.

Jeff Kellam December 4th, 2009 02:59 PM

Maybe that's an alternate selling point for my services.

Genuine pressed commercial quality DVDs, supplied in a spindle of 300 copies.

Maybe not.

Ryan ONeil December 5th, 2009 03:22 PM

Also, as technology advances we'll have access to equipment that can read "unreadable" discs. No fear.

Philip Howells December 5th, 2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 1456100)
As far as playback in 1,000 years, ......

Does anyone remember the VHS tape ad with the skeleton? Lasts for ever they said - already I can't even remember the brand.

Colin McDonald December 6th, 2009 06:51 AM

Memorex it was - Deryck Guyler did the V/O.

And my Memorex VHS tapes still play fine :-)

All my audio tape cassetes from the 70s still work too (a wee bit of print through now and again) so I think I'll continue to archive my video on dv tape while it's still available.

Chris Davis December 6th, 2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan ONeil (Post 1456601)
Also, as technology advances we'll have access to equipment that can read "unreadable" discs. No fear.

Good point. It reminds me of the very first "recording" - made 17 years before Edison's "Mary Had A Little Lamb". Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville was a printer and a tinkerer who was experimenting with converting audio to etchings on charcoal paper - the very first waveforms. Scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory took those etchings and converted them to sound. Scott had no clue he was recording his voice for all posterity to hear. You can hear the recording at the link below:

LINK

Craig Terott December 6th, 2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1456869)
I think I'll continue to archive my video on dv tape while it's still available.

My confidence level in tape as an archival medium is zero. I have projects that I archived on tape (Sony's best) just 5 years ago (stored in a controlled/cool/dry environment) that I can't recapture.

During recapture I get a few seconds of video, then blue screen, then a few seconds of video, then blue screen, etc.,) I know at the time I archived these projects I tested playback. Luckily, I didn't trust tape for storage and used a secondary method (hard drive).

Colin McDonald December 6th, 2009 03:34 PM

With respect, that sounds like there is a problem with your equipment (or was when you recorded the tapes) as even those who are not particularly fond of tapes do not usually report wholesale failure as a reason. HD dropouts we have all heard of, individual tape failures perhaps, but there is clearly another issue here. (Cleaning or alignment of heads?)

Jeff Kellam December 6th, 2009 05:18 PM

Colin: I agree Craig probably has or had an equipment problem, and that is a major weak link with tape. I have tapes that probably still work fine for my old DV and HDV cameras, but no longer have the cameras. I would consider that an equipment problem too.

Jeff

Dave Blackhurst December 6th, 2009 06:17 PM

Tape head alighment issues - the data is probably still there IF it was properly stored and hasn't been damaged (look for crinkled edges) by being run through an out of alignment camera...

I'll have to dig out some old recorded DVD's and see if they still work after being stored in a cool dark dry environment... got me curious! I'm pretty sure that ANY media can go bad if you look for a way!

Proper storage and backup solves the problems - I know I've got lots of old stuff stuck on my hard disks - it's easy to just copy the entire contents' of last years "biggest drive" to a small portion of THIS year's biggerer drive...

Robert M Wright December 9th, 2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan ONeil (Post 1456601)

I suppose anything is possible, but seriously doubt that a burned DVD disk will be recoverable years and years later after laser rot. The material that is recorded on is organic and the recording literally decomposes.