Anyone using Cranberry discs for project delivery? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using Cranberry discs for project delivery?

I was wondering if anyone was using or offering Cranberry discs to deliver wedding projects?

What do you think?

Cranberry DiamonDisc(tm) - The 1,000 Year DVD
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
New Boot

Wow...that's EXPENSIVE! I can't burn my own discs (unless I purchase a $1,500 burner), $35 per disc, bundles of software and monthly services. IDK...sounds like a rip-off. Maybe not, but how are any of us to know that these things will really last for 10 centuries??

Also, Blu-Ray will soon be the standard IMHO. Are these discs compatible with a BD player?
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Trustee

It's a gimmick, but then I could see offering it to clients as your own money making gimmick.

Here's an article from Wired Magazine that makes a good point - when CDs first came out, they were ballyhooed as "indestructible" and would "last forever". I don't see the "DiamondDisc" claims as having any more credence than the original CD claims.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, it almost borders on a scam. And they don't (probably can't) offer Blu-Rays. I wonder if they are more scratch resistant too? Although that's a human error to get a scratch.

What's it cost to get a few discs pressed at a disc production house?

As far as playback in 1,000 years, you will probably be able to just snap a picture of an optical disc with the then current iphones mega resolution camera and grab all the data without even having a currently thought of player.
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
What's it cost to get a few discs pressed at a disc production house?
I've never seen replication offered for quantities less than 300.
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Maybe that's an alternate selling point for my services.

Genuine pressed commercial quality DVDs, supplied in a spindle of 300 copies.

Maybe not.
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Also, as technology advances we'll have access to equipment that can read "unreadable" discs. No fear.
Ryan ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
As far as playback in 1,000 years, ......
Does anyone remember the VHS tape ad with the skeleton? Lasts for ever they said - already I can't even remember the brand.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Trustee

Memorex it was - Deryck Guyler did the V/O.

And my Memorex VHS tapes still play fine :-)

All my audio tape cassetes from the 70s still work too (a wee bit of print through now and again) so I think I'll continue to archive my video on dv tape while it's still available.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan ONeil View Post
Also, as technology advances we'll have access to equipment that can read "unreadable" discs. No fear.
Good point. It reminds me of the very first "recording" - made 17 years before Edison's "Mary Had A Little Lamb". Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville was a printer and a tinkerer who was experimenting with converting audio to etchings on charcoal paper - the very first waveforms. Scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory took those etchings and converted them to sound. Scott had no clue he was recording his voice for all posterity to hear. You can hear the recording at the link below:

LINK
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
I think I'll continue to archive my video on dv tape while it's still available.
My confidence level in tape as an archival medium is zero. I have projects that I archived on tape (Sony's best) just 5 years ago (stored in a controlled/cool/dry environment) that I can't recapture.

During recapture I get a few seconds of video, then blue screen, then a few seconds of video, then blue screen, etc.,) I know at the time I archived these projects I tested playback. Luckily, I didn't trust tape for storage and used a secondary method (hard drive).
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Trustee

With respect, that sounds like there is a problem with your equipment (or was when you recorded the tapes) as even those who are not particularly fond of tapes do not usually report wholesale failure as a reason. HD dropouts we have all heard of, individual tape failures perhaps, but there is clearly another issue here. (Cleaning or alignment of heads?)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Colin: I agree Craig probably has or had an equipment problem, and that is a major weak link with tape. I have tapes that probably still work fine for my old DV and HDV cameras, but no longer have the cameras. I would consider that an equipment problem too.

Jeff
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Tape head alighment issues - the data is probably still there IF it was properly stored and hasn't been damaged (look for crinkled edges) by being run through an out of alignment camera...

I'll have to dig out some old recorded DVD's and see if they still work after being stored in a cool dark dry environment... got me curious! I'm pretty sure that ANY media can go bad if you look for a way!

Proper storage and backup solves the problems - I know I've got lots of old stuff stuck on my hard disks - it's easy to just copy the entire contents' of last years "biggest drive" to a small portion of THIS year's biggerer drive...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan ONeil View Post
I suppose anything is possible, but seriously doubt that a burned DVD disk will be recoverable years and years later after laser rot. The material that is recorded on is organic and the recording literally decomposes.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques