2010 the Just say No to low/no pay work year! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #31
Trustee

Craigslist ad actually sounds ok for someone just starting out. I've done about 8 weddings so far, and every single one of them has some relation to the first couple I did a free promo for.

Naturally the quality has increased in the three years since, but I can't tell you how valuable the word of mouth advertising has been to me.

Such a large captive market as the bride-to-be has would be valuable I think, especially to the photo/video/DJ needing to get some exposure, if perhaps not so much the caterers... If you have the time, and need the experience, a gig like that would be ideal. I would even think the client would cover expenses of tape and such.

Not that I would be interested personally in such a proposition.
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
Funny thread, just a couple weeks ago a "bride to be" here posted on Craigslist that giving free Photo/DJ/Video AND catering work would be a great opportunity because she will place our advertising and market us to her friends... all getting married soon. So she basically wanted her entire wedding free.

To Wedding vendors

To Wedding vendors (Philadelphia, PA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-11-25, 11:23AM EST
Reply to: gigs-pdg52-1481835005@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To wedding vendors,
Are you a videographer, caterer, photographer, wedding coordinator, wedding DJ, or any other type of wedding vendor? Are you willing to provide your services in exchange for you advertisements to my guests? (e.g. your business cards given in favor bags, your wedding information on on my wedding website, slideshow at the reception, programs, facebook--(over 1500 friends with me alone) etc.). If so please respond stating what you are willing to offer and what you would like in exchange. I haven't set a specific date yet, I am still open, although I've narrowed it down to the end of next year. My wedding will not be held on a peak day (not saturday night) so it won't me much trouble for you. I am an entertainment promoter so I'm definitely a natural at promoting and sharing what I loved about a vendor to people in addition to your information on my website etc. So your name will be out there in my community (many friends/associates of mine are either engaged or in a very serious relationship).

Contact me if you are interested!
-Bride-to-Be

That Bride to be is nothing more than a parasite!!!!!!!! People like that disgust me!!!! she knows nobody, PERIOD!!!! If she did she would not be asking for FREE services, She obviously is not making any money in the entetainment industry if she has to post a thread like that to gain freebies by offering fictitional advertisement..... What a LEECH!!!!!
Jason Selmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #33
Inner Circle

She must either be getting married in a lot of different locations OR she has a clone. I saw a post on CL the other day- same thing.

Yeah, I'll jump right in! Uh, I don't think so.

O|O
\--/
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #34
Major Player

I think that if anyone does do shoot etc for free then a non-disclosure agreement regarding fees (or lack of), should be signed. It may or may not be viable to sue, say a wedding couple, but just the act of signing such an agreement makes the "free video" seem much more serious and drives home the point that this is not "normal".
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #35
Trustee

An Australian designer (or maybe he's a perceptive writer) was recently asked, not for the first time, to do work for free on the vague promise of future payment. Although the putative client's language may make your maiden Aunt blush, the technique the designer employed might be relevant to this thread.

You can read the complete exchange at:

"It's like twitter. Except we charge people to use it."
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
To wedding vendors,
Are you a videographer, caterer, photographer, wedding coordinator, wedding DJ, or any other type of wedding vendor? Are you willing to provide your services in exchange for you advertisements to my guests? (e.g. your business cards given in favor bags, your wedding information on on my wedding website, slideshow at the reception, programs, facebook--(over 1500 friends with me alone) etc.). If so please respond stating what you are willing to offer and what you would like in exchange. I haven't set a specific date yet, I am still open, although I've narrowed it down to the end of next year. My wedding will not be held on a peak day (not saturday night) so it won't me much trouble for you. I am an entertainment promoter so I'm definitely a natural at promoting and sharing what I loved about a vendor to people in addition to your information on my website etc. So your name will be out there in my community (many friends/associates of mine are either engaged or in a very serious relationship).

Contact me if you are interested!
-Bride-to-Be
haha, that totally made me laugh! (whether genuine or fake)
if she knows 1500 people, then the chances are that amongst them alone, there must surely be a wedding photographer, videographer, coordinator, DJ etc etc...so why doesn't she ask them if she's THAT cheeky ;)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #37
Trustee

If a bride asks for a discount, this is what I tell them:

I put 100% effort into every wedding I shoot and edit. But if you want a 50% discount, would it be ok if I put in just 50% of my effort for your wedding? Is that ok with you?

They suddenly see the light.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
haha, that totally made me laugh! (whether genuine or fake)
if she knows 1500 people, then the chances are that amongst them alone, there must surely be a wedding photographer, videographer, coordinator, DJ etc etc...so why doesn't she ask them if she's THAT cheeky ;)
She did - they thought buying a toaster on $20 closeout was a better idea for her "gift"...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Heck, she's an "entertainment promoter," whatever that is. Tell her that she should promote your business for free because every client you book is good exposure for her. She should be glad to do it, right?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques