Bridal shows - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #16
Trustee

I've been at three wedding shows (1 in '08, 2 in '09) and have two more coming up in Jan/Feb. I think that Michelle is right to some extent in that you do get exposed to alot of brides but you have to sell them on the concept - especially where it relates to video. So you have to be engaging and charismatic. Because they aren't going there necessarily to buy things at a Bridal show anyways. A lot of them are just getting either ideas or free stuff. I'd say at least 60% of the Brides are getting married in the same year and many have used up their budget already, so tacking on 1,000 to 2,000 is a sell job. And we have to work fairly quickly, because you really don't have much time to sell them. It's not like we can 'check back with them' after the wedding and see if they're interested then. I've got a buddy who sells life insurance, and he spends a couple of years selling a client in some cases.

I also found that not all Bridal Shows are the same, and having found one that I like that works for me, I'll probably continue to attend it. I did book three weddings last year form the shows that I wouldn't have otherwise booked, which more than paid for the space - but it's still alot of work.

My experience has been very positive in that brides are very interested and watch the demos on a flat screen, and ooh and ahh. And this is often there first real exposure to decent wedding videos (largely because of the negative stigma from the 90's).

I'll have a better demo reel and better booth sense this year (first one is Jan 17), so I'll report back on how it goes. This year I'm also working the integrated concept of Photo/Video - so it may be a different experience as well.
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #17
Major Player

IMHO i still think that the best way to grow your business is through referrals..since most brides and their group of friends are about the same age range...i also make it a point to post the B&G's highlight video on their facebook wall so a whole multitude of their network can see our work...
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques