California Wedding Day Edit Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1
Major Player

California Wedding Day Edit Clip

I have some bandwidth left for the month so I thought I would post a clip. We did this Wedding Day Edit a couple of months ago for John Goolsby. He hired us to go out to California to produce this WDE for his client. It was so much fun working with John and Chip. It was the first time we did a WDE without also being responsible for the rest of the wedding video. It was a blast.

The Bride selected two songs and when we first heard them we thought, wow, we have never done a WDE to music like this. The more we listened to the songs the more they grew on us.

John shot the guys prep while Trisha & I shot the girls prep. They had an awesome photographer, which really made for some fun video.

Trisha edited the prep during the ceremony. Chip & John shot the ceremony as they usually would and I was free to get creative shots.

I am really jelous of you California guys. Beautiful venues and on top of that, The Beach. What more could you ask for. Here's the clip.
http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/Goolsby05_WDE.wmv

Last edited by Mark Von Lanken; June 29th, 2005 at 08:00 AM.
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It says it's not found
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #3
New Boot

Here is the actual link to the clip...

John Ekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #4
Trustee

Good to see another Tulsa guy on here... I am going to settle down and do more local stuff (not weddings) so maybe I will see you around. I have shot a bundle of stuff in California, great place to shoot, especially when the smog clears LOL...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Longo
It says it's not found
Sorry Ralph. It should work now.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ekis
Here is the actual link to the clip...

Thanks John. What did I do wrong? I replaced the link with the link you posted.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Good to see another Tulsa guy on here... I am going to settle down and do more local stuff (not weddings) so maybe I will see you around. I have shot a bundle of stuff in California, great place to shoot, especially when the smog clears LOL...

ash =o)
Hi Ash,

Give me a call. We should get together sometime. 258-0258
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
What did I do wrong?
You misspelled "Goolsby" (left out the "b" the first time)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I need to work on my camera work :) With this as a WDE did / do they show it at the receception? I liked the fist song it went well with the feel of the piece fun and loose.
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Major Player

I think that the first song could have been smoothed a bit. I've cut a wedding recap to that song before and I feel that particular style of music requires transitions like fades over straight cuts (yes there's a heavy beat but the rythem of the song is very flowing. I really like that song a lot since I first came across years ago). Watch a professional dancer move to it and they don't jerk or move fast, they flow. I think that a flow could have helped the dead shots of the boats and harbor.

The brides material looked like the more creative material. Sounds like the photog was the difference in that.

The second song really looked great and had great fit and finish.

It was a great piece overall.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
You misspelled "Goolsby" (left out the "b" the first time)
Thanks Ed. We were hoping to make it down to DuQuoin this Summer but we have been doing so much traveling I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe next Summer.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Longo
I need to work on my camera work :) With this as a WDE did / do they show it at the receception? I liked the fist song it went well with the feel of the piece fun and loose.
Hi Ralph,

Yes, the clip was shown at the reception after dinner. I'm glad you liked the first song.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
I think that the first song could have been smoothed a bit. I've cut a wedding recap to that song before and I feel that particular style of music requires transitions like fades over straight cuts (yes there's a heavy beat but the rythem of the song is very flowing. I really like that song a lot since I first came across years ago). Watch a professional dancer move to it and they don't jerk or move fast, they flow. I think that a flow could have helped the dead shots of the boats and harbor.

The brides material looked like the more creative material. Sounds like the photog was the difference in that.

The second song really looked great and had great fit and finish.

It was a great piece overall.

Ben Lynn
Hi Ben,

We mainly use dissolves in our more typical montages, but I saw cuts when I first heard the song. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad you liked the second song better. Thanks for the kind words.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
We were hoping to make it down to DuQuoin this Summer but we have been doing so much traveling I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe next Summer.
Whenever you can make it, just let me know. We just did a wedding in DuQuoin 2 weeks ago.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Ralph,

Yes, the clip was shown at the reception after dinner. I'm glad you liked the first song.
I don't have the capability to do a WDE but I can see the coolness factor of it when it is done like this. Some of the people at the reception would not be at the ceremony and now they get to see a condensed version plus the getting ready also. The music really played into being at the reception rather than just on the DVD in that it starts off playfull and then gets mushy both of the feelings you want at a good wedding.
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques