Internal HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 29th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Internal HD

Hi guys need some half. I've just run out of space on my internal and external HD (all full with DV) can anyone suggest a good sized internal HD which is reasonably fast and works well with video. Cheers guys!!!
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #2
New Boot

I just picked up an internal Western Digital 120 GB hard drive from Circuit City for $50 after rebate. It's the standard HD, except for that it's only ATA 100 rather than the 133 I'd prefer. I was, however, very desperate and needed something quickly. For $50, it's not a bad deal. You can root the slickdeals.net and fatwallet.com for good deals on hard drives, they're always coming in and out of there.

Good luck!
Matt Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Fry's Electronics online

Outpost.com is always running specials on hard drives. I like Seagates for their 5 year warranty, as opposed to the 1 year warranty on others.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dennis,

I just built a 2 drive 600 GB SATA array - used 2 300 GB Maxtor SATA drives with 16 Meg buffers ($190 each) - placed into an Addonics 4 drive external SATA box ($130). Striped the drives so they appear to be one big 600 Gig drive. Bought the drives from Newegg.com and bought the little external array from shopaddonics.com.

With cables and what-not the total came to just under $600. I timed a render on the new setup Vs: my old setup (2 external 250G Firewire). On the old drives the render took about 14 minutes - on the new drives the render took a little over four minutes. I use the old drives for bulk storage & backup and use the new drives for production work.

Additionally I had noticed that reviewing video through my camera to my video monitor "stuttered" on the old setup. With the SATA drives I can review up to four video streams simultaneously with no stutter (Vegas 5 and Excalibur).

Good Luck!
jc

You mean I can get paid to do this?
John Cloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

John,
Do you find the Addonics 4 drive external SATA box noisy? That is my hesitation in buying it.
Philip Skaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes - both noisy and lots of heat generation. The fans on the drive array move a serious amount of air and they don't seem particularly optimized for quiet.

Of the two I actually find the heat generation the more objectionable of the two. But hey, the drives are generating the heat and it has to go somewhere, right? Overall I'm happy with the setup, especially now that summer is ending and I will be getting "free" heat in my editing room from my little drive array...

jc

You mean I can get paid to do this?
John Cloy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques