Show me the money! Getting Paid - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #31
Inner Circle

One more time and then I think this thread needs to go away. We go thru this subject at least once a year and it's very silly to keep repeating the same thing over and over again.

Whatever your business model, pay up front or or after or whatever, if it works for you and you're happy and satisified with the results fine. It doesn't mean to say that your way is the only way or is the right way for everyone. What works for you, may not work for me end of story.
After 37 of self employment I think I know my business model pretty well and really don't need anyone telling me their way is better for me than something I've been using for probably 20+ years in my business model anymore that anyone else me to say that my way is the best for them.
I think everyone has had their say and expounded on why their way is best for everyone and why no one elses way is any good so I think we've gone as far as we can and still be civil with one another.
Chris, I think it's time to close it. Just one mans opinion.
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I guess all you established veterans of DVINFO.NET must be the ones Don Bloom is talking about...this is the first time I have read this thread and found it highly interesting and informative. Thank you everyone for you input. It helps the new folks around here too.
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. Arnold View Post
Right now, I'm asking for a retainer to book and the balance two weeks prior to the wedding, but I've been thinking about doing something like you're doing Joel - a set day rate for shooting the wedding, and then sort of a menu of different editing options. How's it working out for you - do brides like it?
I've only had the new system in effect for weddings booked since late summer, but it seems like couples 'get it'. I have to explain that the pricing for the editing options won't rise between the time they book and the time they decide on an editing option. That seems to make the decision to secure me for the wedding easier. In the only case that I've had from a fall wedding under this arrangement they've chosen to add two editing options on top of the sde. I know that is more than they would have chosen had it been necessary to write those decisions into the contract.

I think this may work out very well. For one I like the idea of splitting the invoicing for tax reasons. It so much easier to determine which quarter to apply income to. It also may work well from a sales perspective, especially if the editing option decision is made within a short time after the wedding and the emotions are still high. By this time next year I'll know for sure...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques