DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting first "Repass" tomorrow and I need help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/469668-shooting-first-repass-tomorrow-i-need-help.html)

David Horwitz December 18th, 2009 11:19 PM

Shooting first "Repass" tomorrow and I need help

Hi all,

A gig just came in today and my client wants me to shoot a repass after a funeral service. I'm supposed to get a script of questions they want me to ask guests about the deceased, but I've never done this particular kind of event before and I'm wondering if there are some online tutorials that could help. Please send me some info if you have any, and also in terms of technique, when shooting or editing does this have some similarities to a wedding? Thanks.

Marty Welk December 19th, 2009 12:07 AM

i dont know what the word Repass means?

what culture ? the reason i ask is because there are more kinds of cultures at funerals than there are at weddings.
Meaning at some you have to walk on eggshells, because your not even wanted there by many of the guests. At some loud displays of greiving are part of the culture. and at some you can have one brother who wants you out of everyones face, and another brother that wants you to get everyone IN. (even word wars between them)

Some cultures there is flash photography, and snuggling up to the deceaced, and some its only a mornfull event, and Mine Better be a Big Freaking party with everyone having fun.
because where ever i would be dead, the last thing i would want to see is people getting depressed over something they no longer have control of.

If they told you to do interviews, then carry thier name around as the first word that comes out of your mouth, Saying "wife/son/parent Want you to speak on the video" will get the guests to do so. being video guy getting in thier greiving would not as easily. I have done it carefully and sucessfully, without permission out of curiosity for what they knew about the person. and once "cornered" people have 100 things to say, i mean 20 minutes :-) about them.

give them time to prepare, and do what you would do for any other interview. it wont much matter if you transfer them to a side room, or use people in the background, at the reception. I assume you have appropriate micing stuff to get thier voices.
myself i dont think a seperate audio BOOM, and Cine lenses, and 2 cameras, and light reflectors :-) are a good idea, but on the other hand depending again on the culture, paparatzi funeral just shows how really popular and important the person is.

some other things that would bring up, once any service part is completed, there is a general drifiting out the door, receptions do not last time.

you can get a clue as to the mindset of the people, based on what is said at the service, if its a "Celebration of the Life" of the person then people arent dragged down, if its one tear after another , then you will have to be more carefull on your aproaches. If its loud morning style, then expect that again, and worry not, as in thier culture this is what they do. Each culture has different ways of dealing coping morning and celebrating the persons life, and within each i can understand how it helps.

did i mention Time? i bet you will have to do this fairly fast, and cut people off when they ramble for days, large or small, mornfests or Wake, the reception parts i have seen dont last really long.

like all the recpetion things, the people closer tied will stay longer, the people who dont feel as "home" in the group will leave faster, so getting deep family and close friends neer the end would still be possible.

lists of Questions are awesome Primers, Ice-Breakers, some people will give you 2 word answers, and some will talk your ear off, if i was handed a list of questions i would use it as a tool, some people would go off on thier own and i wouldnt go through the "list" , some people even with the whole list , wont talk a lot. just like anything else.

David Horwitz December 19th, 2009 12:14 AM

Hi Marty,

Thanks for replying. This is the first I've heard of it too: Urban Dictionary: Repass

Culturally I think African-American. The repass is scheduled for 3 hours. I won't be shooting the actual service. Good point about having to tread lightly. I'm going to ask my client to announce that I'll be going around doing interviews, so there should be less surprises.

Marty Welk December 19th, 2009 12:42 AM

ohhh repass, now i got it, which is more often the reception at the home, which is going to be more CLOSE friends and family. that presents way less problems of time or ever being a herassment.
Piece of cake.

David Horwitz December 19th, 2009 02:31 AM

Cool sounds good. It will be at a venue other than their home so I'm not sure who all will be there, but I'll just work with it and get the best footage that I can. Thanks again!