Pro's & Con's of switching to SLRs for wedding video. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Just thinking out lout here: there's no argument that shooting a live event like a wedding with DSLRs is more difficult. For that reason one would have to charge more for a DSLR-only package- enough to warrant the extra time, stress, and skill required to facilitate.
Totally agree - if you're adept at using a DSLR for event videography you're one of a very select few and should be compensated very well for being in that group.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I just started using at DSLR on weddings. I use it as a complement to my A1, not as something to replace it. It's great for details, bridal prep and our formal video session. I like using my A1 to do the heavy lifting during the ceremony, because it's easier to use, has better audio capabilities and I don't have to worry about running time. Also, I'm not crazy about how the DSLRs react to flash photography, so I prefer the A1's for big chunks of the reception and dancing.
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
There's no reasonable reason for the 12 minute limit, unless it's the whole EU tax thing or wanting to avoid competing with their other product lines... HMC150 and many consumer cameras don't have that limit...
Dave, that's the point. HMC150 is a video recorder by definition (a video camera that doesn't record video wouldn't be much use) ;-). There is an extra tarif (in the EU) on equipment that records video over (I don't know for sure if it's exactly 12mins but there is a limit). I believe it's to pay the greedy studios etc. as it could be potentially used to copy their stuff! Lol!

For Stills Cameras (inc. digital) tariff = 4.3%

For Video/Audio recording equipment, tariff = `13.9%

Big difference. That's why the manufacturers limit the capability in those units destined for the EU market (other markets may have similar issues), otherwise they would have to charge more for them.

If you're wondering where I got the figures from, we import goods from all over the world in our business and do all customs declarations online with a secure login, so all the tarifs are on the system to enable us to properly declare the correct tariffs. I just looked them up.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sharpe View Post
One more point about the short clip length: with the Panasonic DMC-GH1 you can record for hours without a break, depending on the video mode you are using.
Except in the EU, where the tariff premiums apply per my previous post.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #35
Trustee

I am working with DSLRs as well and I too agree that the limitations are huge. Off focus is the worst thing to happen and sometimes, the external mic encounters issues as well.

So, our approach is to use the DSLR as complimentary cameras. This is really tough for a one men band. Especially here in Asia where we have to handle the super unpredictable gatecrashing which has no place for shallow DOF shots. With all that said, I still do not regret having the DSLRs because they offer a new dimension to our story telling.

I think as long as one does not forget the primary objective is to tell a story, it doesnt matter what tools are used.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #36
Major Player

Sean, I couldn't agree more that the tools are the least important part of the equation.

If people are shooing feature film shots with PXL-2000s, you can shoot a wedding with anything. Retro Thing: Pixelvision Mystery - More PXL-2000's Than We Thought? - Sanpix 1000
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM   #37
Major Player

Hi Matthew,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
I have been a part of three SDEs that included 5D footage and one that consisted of all 5D/7D footage except for three clips. An all EOS SDE is very possible, albeit a pain to deal with. The trick is simply knowing what you want to convert before you convert it....
Just revisiting this because within the last three weeks I've done an about-face and have switched to DSLR's. There are lots of drawbacks compared to true video cameras - there's a shot limit, you have to transcode, you only have manual focus, they might overheat, and the audio recording is limited -but for me the IQ makes up for all of that. Here's the kit I put together:

Canon T2i x 3, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS and the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I also got grips for two of the cameras, an LCDVF viewfinder and a boatload of class 6 16gb cards.

One DSLR is a back up and I'll run the HV-30's as static angles. Audio will be H4N's and iriver recorders. I know I can make Same-Day Edits work with a workflow that involves transcoding everything through the batch list of MPEG Streamclip. Even with the new Canon plugin for Final Cut Pro this will be faster considering I shoot alone and don't have the time to pick and choose which shots to ingest.

So my reasons not to switch fly out the window. I hope I don't regret it.
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM   #38
Major Player

Joel, I would have to charge a solid $5K to go through all that hassle. My market is $2 to 3Kish generally.

I raised my prices to $2K minimum package and am looking to simplify the shoots even more. I honestly dont know you do it unless you have all high end clients.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM   #39
Major Player

In terms of post-production one thing that I know will speed up the process is the app Pluraleyes. It syncs up all the clips from all the cameras plus the double system sound sources in one step. It was one of the factors that made me think I wouldn't go crazy synching it all together.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi Joel

In percentage terms, how much extra have you spent on each Canon T2i to get it "ready for the road"

Cheers

Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM   #41
Major Player

Hi Howard!

$800 Canon T2i
$800 Canon T2i
$800 Canon T2i
$160 Canon BG-E8 Grip
$160 Canon BG-E8 Grip
$100 10 x Generic T2i Batteries
$815 Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS (used)
$608 Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
$1006 Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS (used)
$420 12 x Patriot SDHC 16gb Class 6 ($35 each)
$179 LCDVF Viewfinder
$99 Neutral Density Fader
$239 Zoom H4N (refurbished)
$60 Assorted Accessories (Macro tube, Nikon lens adapter, step-up ring, hood, hot shoe adapter, hot shoe bar)
$6246

Selling 2 x Canon XH-A1 on eBay
Canon XHA1 HDV High Definition Camcorder - eBay (item 270557067598 end time Apr-08-10 19:00:44 PDT)
Canon XHA1 XH-A1 HDV High Definition Camcorder - eBay (item 270553408235 end time Apr-04-10 19:00:27 PDT)

And FWIW the rest:

Production:
3 x Canon HV-30 / batteries / WA lenses
Monopod
4 x tripods
Glidecam on Steadicam Vest / Arm
IndieSlider Mini
Shotgun mic
5 iriver recorders / Giant Squid mics / AA's
2 x light stands
2 x Reception Lights™
Nikon 50mm f/1.4

Same-Day Edits
2 x MacBook Pro 17"
Optoma Projector
Case of cables / adapters etc.
Projector screen - 120"
JBL EON G2 15" powered speaker / stand
Hand truck
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Thanks Joel
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Wow, great list Joel. It's almost making me want to switch to DSLR's! And you shoot alone with all that stuff? Amazing!

Question to DSLR videographers: With the 12-minute recording limit, does the new file start immediately after the previous one? (ie. If I put two consecutive files on a timeline, will the playback be continuous as if I never stopped recording?) And is the new file recording automatic?
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #44
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Estrella View Post
With the 12-minute recording limit, does the new file start immediately after the previous one? (ie. If I put two consecutive files on a timeline, will the playback be continuous as if I never stopped recording?) And is the new file recording automatic?
Unfortunately there is a gap as long as it took you to realize the recording has stopped and you press the button again. Reasons for the shot limit are talked about earlier in the thread, though I think the overheating problem may make stopping recording more of a necessity. With there being the threat of overheating I plan on carrying a back-up body in a holster that I can switch to if the warning comes on. My long lens has a collar that attaches to the tripod so body swaps are really quick. I've yet to see the overheating warning yet though, even though I've recorded through 2 full cards with no break between takes. I haven't seen any proof, but I think getting the battery out of the body by using a grip might be helping keep the temperature down. I should try the same test with the battery held internally. I also think using an external monitor might help by automatically turning the built-in LCD screen (which generates heat) off. I've ordered a cheap LCDTV with an A/V input to mess around with.
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #45
Major Player

I won't reiterate all of the great information in this thread, but I've been shooting 99% all DSLR since I've started my own studio last fall. One good tip I got about shooting in regards to DSLR overheating is bring a white towel to your outdoor weddings and drape them on your camera body to reflect heat.

This may not prevent the overheating from happening but it will keep it from happening sooner.

I started out shooting without grips on both my 7Ds and they have rarely overheated in 24p. 30p was another story. Now that I have grips on them both, I can't say if it has helped because the first time out, I was shooting in direct sunlight beating on the cameras and forgot to pack a towel :S. One overheated at the 8 min mark but did not shut off. I ran it until the full 12 minutes and then for another 2 immediately after. Footage looked fine. I'm still on the original firmware if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure if the t2i's overheat or not like the 7D's sometimes do.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques