Help with first memorial video please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with first memorial video please

Over the weekend I shot my first memorial event. I am now contemplating the best approach to post since it's such a sensitive thing for my clients. There are a few things that come to mind.

For the DVD label I am thinking about having some kind of background with a photo of the deceased on one side and some text on the other that says "In loving memory of 'person's name'". But I'm not sure of the kind of background to choose in this type of situation, so any suggestions would be appreciated...and what font would you suggest?

As far as the footage, I plan on asking one of the family members for still photos of the deceased (there weren't any pictures of them at the event) and music they want me to use when editing in the non-interview footage. Most of the footage is interviews. I shot a steadycam shot of entering the building and proceeding to the room where the dinner was being served, but honestly the building isn't much to look at so should I put that in? The other shots are a short prayer by the pastor, the buffet line, guests milling around, and shots of the flower arrangements. I think that's about it.

My plan is to have some of the other footage at the beginning, then the bulk will be interviews, and then maybe an outro with the flower arrangements. I am thinking the first and last clips should be a still of the deceased and "In loving memory of 'person's name"" before going into the actual event footage. I also plan on doing a menuless DVD with chapters at around 3 minutes at the nearest edit point.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I should also note that at the end of the event my client requested photo prints from the footage. I told him that I didn't have the capability to print photos, so what I could do is export snapshots from the footage and give them to him on a CD so he could get them printed elsewhere. I am thinking of taking 1-3 stills per scene, any thoughts?
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Major Player

without trying to speak for everyone or how they would feel . . .
the hardest part of the greiving is over now, make the best memory of the person as you can, do whatever creative art you want to enhance and display what you did. the only thing you have to fear now , is creating a memory that they cant Move foreward in thier own lives with ? ? ?
its ok to memorialise the person in every way imaginable. myself i wouldnt put rock& roll on, but it depends on the person, you can put rock on my funeral.

good time for that slow motion :-) some nice calm stuff for the titleing.
the dvd cover should look like what it is, just so its easy to identify, would depend on the person and they style of funeral. Stain glass background for that type, simple leaves or flowers (dont get to girly with guys) on a dk background , a memento of thiers (out of focus), as the background, nice calm nature scene, is some of the things i can think of.

when people cry when they see thier old wedding pics , they will cry when they see thier late funeral pics/video. what you do, will determine how hard they will cry. but dont (excessivly) depress anyone with it. No Sati music :-)

chapter at each different section, you cheapskate :-) so if they want to show or see something in a specific section its easy to find.

everything you said would be classic and expected and regular for a funeral (service) here, if your worried about any WORDING refer to the program. announcement, memorial card, obituary in the newspaper stuff. i doubt with the wordings your choosing that your going to err. fancy Script fonts, unless that doesnt match the content.

you could potentially make a seperate picture slideshow of prime pictures you get off your video, set it to music, put it on a seperate "top Track" in your menu, and then within the same dvd they will have the pics, and a easier way to show it.
but of course they want you to have been the photographer too, and so they can have solid pics to put on walls frames and in Albums.
they or YOU could get prints from the video pics at a Kiosk or 101 other places, or just run a few through your ink-jet :-( with photo mid gloss paper, and that is what some of them would do anyways.
before i would send a pic TO print, someone is going to tell me which one first. a nice dvd slidshow is the future of albums, do it right , and they might ignore the need for pics.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Here is a memorial video I did. This is just the trailer.

All your ideas sound fine to me.

YouTube - Memorial Introduction :: Linda & Herbert Hinze :: Santa Clara, CA
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques