DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   my website: what are your critiques? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/469931-my-website-what-your-critiques.html)

David Schuurman December 23rd, 2009 01:20 PM

my website: what are your critiques?

Hi folks,
I've done a couple weddings last year and am trying to go at it a bit harder this upcoming season. I made a website and I would like to know what some of you more experienced and knowledgeable people have to offer in terms of criticisms.

I have my pricing posted but I am not looking for advice on that as I have them set where I am comfortable right now and suits my workflow for the time being.

I am looking for criticism in terms of website design, layout, simplicity etc.

David Schuurman Wedding Cinema

thanks everyone.

Art Varga December 23rd, 2009 02:07 PM

nice and clean, easy click to social networks, I like it!

Marty Welk December 23rd, 2009 02:08 PM

look nice.
Keyword spam your location into the front page, and other critical keywords.
i am TOTALLY against frauding a search engine, but on your front page stuff in all the words somone would use to seek your exact services, and your location that your at.

so when i type in "Video Wedding BC" for example, your web page at leasts exist on the 10th page of google .
but dont lie , and put in bs that people wouldnt type to find your services.
It is unlikly to get you on the list anywhere usefull with scammers and spammers and search engine frauders, but at least it will exist. Localise it to your area, so if your one of 2 "video" "production" "studio" in that exact town or city, you exist.

David Schuurman December 23rd, 2009 02:12 PM

Marty that's a great idea, thanks for that!

and thanks Art!

Chris Davis December 23rd, 2009 04:50 PM

Clean and simple and elegant - I really like that.

Can the embed code from Vimeo allow for auto-play? It seemed unnecessary for me to click once to open the video window, then click again to play it. I think you just need to add "&autoplay=1" to the link.

I know there are subtle differences between US English and Canadian English, but I don't think "Add-on's" has an apostrophe. Also, in some places you have "DVDs" and in another "DVD's".

You don't have an address or phone number on your site. Leaving that info off your site may make you look somewhat "fly-by-night"-ish. Also, by having your location will help when people google "(city) Wedding Video" (which is the most likely search term to drive people to your site.) Consider making the page titles something like "David Schuurman Wedding Cinema - Serving City, Othercity and Anothercity".

Those a just nitpicky things, which speaks to the overall quality of your site!

Brett Griffin December 23rd, 2009 06:43 PM

David,

I would rather have the facebook and twitter buttons open a new window rather than kicking the reader out of your main site. Other than that, nice site. Puts mine to shame (but it was my first attempt at building a site)

Brett Griffin December 23rd, 2009 06:44 PM

David, (Sorry about the double post)

I would rather have the facebook and twitter buttons open a new window rather than kicking the reader out of your main site.

Also, make your email address a hyperlink that opens the readers email by default.

Other than that, nice site. Puts mine to shame (but it was my first attempt at building a site)

David Schuurman December 24th, 2009 12:24 PM

thanks for those suggestions, really help! I am going to try and implement those next week.

thanks alot and if anyone has any further suggestions I'm pleased to hear them

Eugene Brown December 29th, 2009 03:20 PM

Hey David
First off let me say that I love how clean and simple your site is!

I really wouldn't put your email address at the bottom of your pages, thats what your contact page is for! The reason I say that is this...

When you get a bride whos interested the first thing they'll click is your contact link.

On your contact page I would put all of your contact info! twitter, facebook, email, and phone number! Because both you and I know that when the bride decides to contact you and clicks that link she's expecting your email or phone number. offering the other ways to contact you is a plus and by having it all on the contact page you know they see every way they can contact you!

I'd also add a link on your main page to a blog if you have one!

Love how you have your sample page set up!

On your package page I would change the gray background and make it the the same green thats behind your "David Schuurman Wedding Cinema" heading! It looks kinda blah to me with that gray!

One of the biggest things I think we make with our websites is not including a picture of ourselves! B + G's want to be able to connect with who will be shooting their wedding. Give them a face to connect with! Also having a picture of yourself on your site makes it easier if you don't have you're own studio and have to meet them in a public place full of people, they know who they're looking for!

Also, very cool song choice on Aaron & Tabitha's Highlight video!

Mark Boyer December 29th, 2009 05:38 PM

Nice site.

My website is just a basic one: Boyer Digital Photo

Jeff Kellam December 30th, 2009 11:06 AM

Simple and clean is best. It looks good.

I would embellish the text over time to be just a little more descriptive.