DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Camera shake fix (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/470048-camera-shake-fix.html)

Dror Levi December 26th, 2009 09:04 PM

Camera shake fix

If there is anything that bother me during post is seeing camera shake.
Just wander if anyone use any software to fix camera shake.
I am using Sony Vegas 9 but i don't think there is any plug in for this.
As well does any one use it for the entire video?
In other wards after you done with all the editing and color correction does anyone feed the entire video to this process and get 100% stable video?

Perrone Ford December 26th, 2009 09:42 PM

I tend to do it before I grade, but yes, I've done entire videos that needed it. And no, Vegas has no tool for it. FCP, Avid, and Premiere do though. And you can use the free one in VirtualDut that's better than all three.

Some people use the Prodad Mercalli program. But it's the same thing that's available for free in Virtualdub.

Philip Howells December 27th, 2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dror Levi (Post 1464918)
If there is anything that bother me during post is seeing camera shake.
Just wander if anyone use any software to fix camera shake.
I am using Sony Vegas 9 but i don't think there is any plug in for this.
As well does any one use it for the entire video?
In other wards after you done with all the editing and color correction does anyone feed the entire video to this process and get 100% stable video?

The thing you have to remember is that you lose all your framing with this software which also degrades the resolution. Far better to buy a tripod, monopod, fig rig etc.

Dimitris Mantalias December 27th, 2009 02:02 AM

Prodad's Mercalli that was mentioned by Perrone is indeed an excellent software for stabilizing. And it works with Vegas too.

Jeff Kellam December 27th, 2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1464947)
The thing you have to remember is that you lose all your framing with this software which also degrades the resolution. Far better to buy a tripod, monopod, fig rig etc.

Generally, the framing still stays in the overscan safe area, so it's not too bad. It can throw off pans a bit.

But yeah, good solid footage from a tripod or something is the way to shoot video.

Cole McDonald December 27th, 2009 10:01 PM

Mac, Linux or PC? Shake will do it, AE will do it, Cinelerra will do it - Nuke, several plugins. There is some FCP stabilization, Motion has added smoothing when it sucked in the Shake stuff in the latest version as well.

Philip Howells December 28th, 2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam (Post 1465001)
Generally, the framing still stays in the overscan safe area, so it's not too bad.

It actually depends on how bad your shake is, the greater the shake the smaller the area which stays constantly in frame and which the software chooses as the "good"material - this can easily intrude from the safe area. Additionally, as Jeff says the software thinks all movement is shake and tries at least to "correct" normal camera movement.

The problem is when people use cures as complete solutions. Like most software cures this should be used in extreme moderation - and the longer the sequence to which it's applied the greater will be the intrusion.

Stephen J. Williams December 28th, 2009 10:16 AM

I just started using the steady-cam filter in FCP for pans on my tripod... I have somewhat of undersized tripod for my camera. After adding in the filter though I was able to get the smooth flowing fluid pans that I was looking for. I was impressed. This filter also saved me when I was zoomed in tight and there was slight shakes from the vibrations of the floor traveling up my tripod legs.

I agree that this particular filter is just a bandage for potential problems and I wouldn't recommend shooting thinking that it'll be able to cover all scenarios.

steve

Jeff Kellam December 28th, 2009 11:30 AM

If you are using the deshaker script in Vegas Pro, and you are able to edit the script through simply changing a few code lines, you can really tailor the de-shake execution to your own parameters.

Although it is a repair/cleanup solution, it is still pretty effective and not too much of a hit on quality (although there are two renders involved using a "lossless" codec (of your choice)), depending on lots of factors. But because you end up with a lossless codec clip(s) of the original clip(s), expect the working project size to go up dramatically.

Here is the original script:
Deshaker Script

Here is an updated script:
New Deshaker for Sony Vegas

Silas Barker January 2nd, 2010 07:07 PM

Camera Shake

I ve noticed that my Sony Z5 Cameras are great except when I hand hold and use the HD footage rather then SD. For SD, Its not bad. For HD, you see EVERYTHING!

I ve learned to hold the camera with my right hand, and with my left hand hold the lens part. This is ok, but still could be better. I also try to use a tripod or glidecam because this is way smoother then hand holding in one place.

Also, for wedding toasts, I handhold one cam, and have a locked down camera. That way I can edit to the wide shot for the worst of the shaky, and use the tight handheld for most of it.

hope this helps!
Silas Barker
Wedding & Corporate Video Sacramento Roseville Folsom Auburn Lake Tahoe

Steve Isaacs January 3rd, 2010 10:32 AM

Prodad Mercalli integrates seemlessly into Vegas. This for me is a big advantage because in post it's all about time to edit. There may be better out there but Mercalli is just a click or two away from reasonably stable footage.

Of course getting it right in the camera is the best option but that's not always possible with my run and gun style of shooting. Mercalli has saved my butt without slowing me down too much.

I shoot in HD but deliver mostly on DVD widescreen. This gives me lots of crop space for stabilization.

Also, shoot at as high a shutter speed as possible. This helps avoid the blurries when stabilizing the footage in post. This works great for bright settings (e.g. outdoors and daylight) and the stabilization won't hardly be noticable. Indoors or night is a different matter where low lighting forces a slow shutter. An unstable shot under these conditions can't be saved because of the motion blur so under low light conditions I shoot on tripod only.

Jim Snow January 3rd, 2010 11:21 AM

Mercalli is a very useful tool. I can't imagine a serious editor being without a deshaker of some sort. Can we just stipulate in future "how do I fix footage" threads that it goes without saying that it's better to shoot it right to start with? That is fundamentally obvious but the fact is that everyone is going to wind up with footage from time to time that needs "fixing" in one way or another.