Bridal Show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bridal Show

Not sure where this goes so I thought I would put it here. This past Sunday I was filming my daughter in a bridal show at the marriott. After the show was over, a lady approched me and ask me what I was filming. I told her I was shooting my daughter and the other models. She then ask me to destory the tape because she might have been in the background and she said she did not sign anything giving me permission to film her (if I did). There must have been 500 people there. My question is this; Can I film a bridal show and not have to ask everyone who attends to sign a release form?
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Oh geez... some people like to believe that a) they're that important or b) the mafia is after them.

Pull out a sheet of Reynolds and make her a tinfoil hat!

Had she asked me to destroy the tape or card, I would have laughed in her face.

Was anyone taking pictures with their cell phones? Or video with their cell phones? She could be in the background as well. Plus there are security cameras around somewhere as well. They are also recording. Did she go after all of them as well... or just you?

Not that it matters. I'd laugh and blow her off. Don't sweat it.

Edit to add: For a lot of shows, it states on the purchase ticket that the purchaser is agreeing that their image may be used for promotional purposes. Seriously, send her some Reynolds wrap.

Last edited by Blake Cavett; January 4th, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Forgot something!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Major Player

You are right Blake!
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Major Player

im with blake i probably would've ignored her or laughed at her
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

OR you could behave like the courteous professional you're supposed to be, and explain to her that a) she's in a public place and therefore has no reasonable expectation of privacy, b) she probably did indeed give her "implied consent" by her purchase of a ticket, and c) if it's really that important to her, you can assure her that she won't be in your final product, provided she fills out all her personal contact info, including social security number, on this handy six page form I just happen to have with me, and of course to make sure we have the right person when we're looking for you on the tape, we'll need to take full on, left profile and right profile still photos...

I'd be surprised if she's still standing there for long.
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #6
Major Player

What a wonderful camera the 7d is. No one suspects you of shooting HQ video. There's a few idiots in every crowd. Not for a moment suggesting this woman was one, just quoting statistics. Sometimes people have a reason to be concerned. What if the woman was there with her boyfriend, and her husband is in the mafia? Anyway, you can think of other scenarios, anything to do with weddings can get pretty emotional. If you were just using a tiny consumer cam taking pics of your daughter you probably can reassure her. OTOH, if you want to post the video somewhere, there genuinely may be a problem. Doesn't sound like it was in a public place either. If there is any chance at all the video is going to be distributed outside your family its good practice to obtain permission to shoot the video, obtain clearances from everyone directly in your video, and if it's not on the ticket post a notice at the entrance to the venue to the same effect as a ticket notice, asking anyone who doesn't want to be in the picture to contact you. Have the MC reinforce this in the opening remarks.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall View Post
Can I film a bridal show and not have to ask everyone who attends to sign a release form?
Sure you can film it, but you can't legally air it as a commercial or advertisement.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The best thing to do to avoid situations like this is to post a sign at all entrances announcing that there will be videotaping inside. It should read something like this:

Attention Videotaping in Progress.

A video is being
recorded on the premises.
By entering the premises, you agree
to allow your likeness and/or voice
to be used in connection with the
production of the video.
If you do not wish to be included in
the video, please let us know.

Southwest Airlines used signs like this around their gates and ticket counters during the production of the reality/documentary show "Airline". It works pretty well.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall View Post
she said she did not sign anything giving me permission to film her
You don't need permission to film her, you only need permission to publish footage of her.

BTW, what did you do?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I guess this all depends on whether or not this location was truly public. If it was public, I don't think there is anything that she could do even if you did want to publish it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was actually in the movie Borat. The scene at the Rodeo in Salem, VA, there are multiple shots with me in it and I had no idea that they were filming and I def. didn't sign any sort of model release. But as far as I know theres nothing I can do about it. Makes for a cool story though. The only reason I bought the movie is so I can show people my first hollywood debut, lol.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques