DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Reception Lighting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/470488-reception-lighting.html)

Mark Von Lanken January 5th, 2010 12:05 PM

Reception Lighting

We have been using on camera lights during the reception for about 10 years. Then about 3 years ago we added off camera lighting which really makes a big difference. On the most recent Von Real at EventDV we explore off camera reception lighting. You can watch it here.

EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource

The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME

One of our topics at the upcoming IN[FOCUS] convention will be lighting.
IN[FOCUS]

Warren Kawamoto January 6th, 2010 02:16 PM

DIY these reception lights. Cheap and easy to make with these parts. If you want longer run time, change the battery to a higher capacity one. The only missing part is the bogen stud-hotshoe adaptor.

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 368B Basic Black Light Stand | 368B
Bescor | KLK-50XT Light and Battery Kit | KLK50XT | B&H Photo
Wireless Remote Control RM01 to Switch ON and OFF for Any DC12 Volt Devices 12V Alkaline Battery REMOTE CONTROL-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

Warren Kawamoto January 6th, 2010 02:23 PM

please delete this post, double posted by mistake

Jimmy Conway January 7th, 2010 03:41 AM

Thank you Warren!

Lukas Siewior January 9th, 2010 05:30 PM

I have the same light but I have it mounted in my b-cam, which is on a tripod. I also connect the light to the power supply. This light is 50W so it runs only 1.5hr on my 7.2Ah batteries.

Warren Kawamoto January 10th, 2010 02:35 AM

I just found these high capacity 10Ah D cells which, when strung together, powers a 50w light for 2.4 hours. The battery pack weighs only 3.5lbs. I just ordered a bunch of these D cells and I'll be the guinea pig to see how well this works. Now that I think of it, I took apart an old Anton Bauer ProPac once, and saw that it was made up of D cells connected in series. I'll be putting together a 11 cell, 13.2v system.

http://www.batteryspace.com/dsizeseriesbatteries.aspx

They also sell ready-made 12v kits.
Portable Video Light: 50W Quartz Light with 12V 10Ah NiMH Battery / smart Charger in Nylon Fanny Bag

Or 13.2v kits that are 12% brighter than 12v
http://www.batteryspace.com/portable...nfannybag.aspx

Philip Howells January 10th, 2010 06:58 PM

Mention of kit running off mains power prompts me to wonder if colleagues outside the UK have to submit to/satisfy the Health and Safety people and have their gear PAT tested every year (at ridiculous cost).

The bigger hotels and all local authority venues here insist on seeing the tags on every plug in every socket. If not they're simply unplugged. It's one reason we are completely battery powered though flexibility and simplicity are also major factors.

Warren Kawamoto January 10th, 2010 11:48 PM

The only thing plugged into the mains would be the smart charger, which is UL safety approved.

Peter Ralph January 11th, 2010 08:31 AM

Philip: I have shot many times in the UK, two weddings this year - both at prestigious London hotels. Never noticed any tags on the lighting plugs, or anyone checking.

Is this a new reg?

No such requirements in the US that I have heard of

Jim Snow January 11th, 2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1470551)
Mention of kit running off mains power prompts me to wonder if colleagues outside the UK have to submit to/satisfy the Health and Safety people and have their gear PAT tested every year (at ridiculous cost).

The bigger hotels and all local authority venues here insist on seeing the tags on every plug in every socket. If not they're simply unplugged. It's one reason we are completely battery powered though flexibility and simplicity are also major factors.

Is that limited to pros or does it apply to everyone - for example someone sitting in the lobby who plugs in to recharge their cell phone?

Philip Howells January 11th, 2010 12:20 PM

Jim and Peter

This is the official line:

The Health & Safety at Work Act (1974) places such an obligation in the following circumstances:

* 1. Where appliances are used by employees.
* 2. Where the public may use appliances in establishments such as hospitals, schools, hotels, shops etc.
* 3. Where appliances are supplied or hired.
* 4. Where appliances are repaired or serviced.

The level of inspection and testing required is dependant upon the risk of the appliance becoming faulty, which is in turn dependant upon the type of appliance, the nature of its use and the environment in which it is used.

The last paragraph is the part that delights the authorities for it allows them to overlook or enforce according to their whim. Strangely places outside London are often stricter in their enforcement eg when we were touring a show for British Airways in the 1980s it was Glasgow where the men in suits turned up and insisted on us pulling off cloth stuck to plywood to show that the plywood had been fire-resistant treated.

The idiocy of such regs is reinforced by the parallel law that for some years electrical equipment must be sold with the plug attached - which often means moulded.

Colin McDonald January 11th, 2010 04:57 PM

I just wonder how they manage to find so many electricians called Pat to do the testing.
:-)

We had one in the school (more of a Mickey than a Pat) who used cut the plugs off anything electrical that showed the slightest defect and then left without telling you. Then you went to use your video or your charger later that week and had a nice little surprise.

Kelly Langerak February 8th, 2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1468766)

I can't find that Hot Shoe Adapter anywhere. Thanks for the tips.

Vishal Gupta February 11th, 2010 04:55 PM

I found this link, however there is no picture of the adapter, so I am not quite sure it will work.

Manfrotto Bogen Rapid Adapter, Converts 5/8" Stud -17mm Long 1/4"-20m Thread 014-14. 014-14. Manfrotto Bogen Tripod Accessories.

Also, why exactly do we need the hot shoe adapter for this DIY setup?

Thanks

Kelly Langerak March 3rd, 2010 04:24 PM

I've setup my reception lights and was wondering if any of you who use the reception lights added a dimmer to them? If so, where did you get it? Model Number?

I'm using the 50 watt lights and wanted to know if you guys see the need for a dimmer?