Your Wedding Song Choices or Gems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Your Wedding Song Choices or Gems

What songs have you been using lately for your Wedding Highlight, First Dance, Introduction etc. in your recent videos or your upcoming projects?

Most times my clients tell me what to use, but more than often they leave it up to me for to choose songs that are not used in specific scenes like the Highlights, Introduction, Background music and I'm running out of ideas.

Or this could be a thread about tracks you currently like but haven't used or want to use.

_________

Songs I can't currently stand are:
1. John Mayer - Say What You Need To Say
2. Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

Gems I have found and used in past wedding vids:

1. Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
2. The Fireman - Sun is Shining
3. She and Him - I Was Made For You
4. Cast Away Soundtrack
5. First Knight Soundtrack

When more come to mind I will add more.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Major Player

How about:

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow & What A Wonderful World

Just kidding! I would rather slit my wrists and pushups in 3 inches of salt water than use that or any other 'played out' song. Not to say I won't use something from a well known artist, I have, but I try and use something that is 'deep track' and not a popular single that everyone has heard.

I love your track list... great stuff there, I can tell you have great musical taste!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I hear you buddy...I'm running out too..i even asked my wife to keep tabs on music on TV... our choice of music for our videos are one of the things that separates us from other videogs in my area...we use faster newer songs and shoot and edit to the songs we have chosen prior to filming...just a different approach / market we try to target..although we also don't mind doing the more classic Etta James, Pachebel or Hans Zimmer type.. we really like our videos to be more MTV style...

I concur with both Im yours and Somewhere Over The Rainbow & What A Wonderful World ..so overplayed...My lists are...

1. Lenka - The Show or Don't Let Me Fall (yes it is the Sears x-mas commercial)
2. Spearhead and Michael Franti - Say Hey
3. Metric- Sick Muse
4. Daughtry - Feels Like Tonight
5. Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat - Lucky
6. Usher - My Boo
7. Foo Fighters - Everlong

We've also used Tonite,Tonite and Today by Smashing Pumpkins and Use Somebody -King of Leons. Check out Coldplay too...

Good Luck

Kren

Last edited by Kren Barnes; January 7th, 2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling error
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Major Player

I recently purchased the Stock 20 library and love it. There are a ton of songs, most have a good variety of versions and track lengths, and don't overwhelm the audience like using a song like, for example, I Don't Want To Miss A Thing would.

I also like Triple Scoop Music.

I like that the audience doesn't know who composed or performed the song so no personal feelings of the artist get transferred over to the video. I also like sleeping a bit easier at night because I have the right to use the music in my productions -- though I hope no-one takes my lead and turns this into a thread about copyright because there are more than enough of those in this forum.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Movie soundtracks are a good source and what about classical?

I recently used Rachmaninoff piano concerto No.2 - there's a wealth of material there if you go hunting.
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Fun

Thanks Kren and the rest of you that have replied so far.

I will def be using some of those songs and Stock 20 looks good too.

Thanks Kren, I was trying to remember a song I heard on a station here in San Francisco and the Daughtry song was it!!

I also have used bands like:

•Friendly Fires ( Awesome Band )
•Empire of the Sun ( great band from Australia, will be huge and is already in multiple commercials in the US
•Band of Horses (latest album)

Walter Meego - Forever
James Yuill - Over the Hills
The Legends - Darling
Tiesto - Close To You
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Trustee

Kelly,

I don't like to be the stick in the mud - but you might want to read through this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...stupid-me.html

As Matthew said - there's tons of info on this topic.

Personally, I'm always looking for relatively unknown (preferably legal), sources of music.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Trustee

By the way Paul,

Thanks for the tip on Triple Scoop - that's a decent source. I've looked also at RedBeard music - and you pay $20.00 per year per song. At triple scoop it's a one time fee of 60.00 per.

I know there's a lot of instrumental stuff out there - but I like to find some sources for good lyrics that fit the mood as well. And yes, you do sleep better at night.
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Major Player

The best music library I've ever come across is audionetworkplc.com. There is music in there that is simply incredible. It's of course more expensive than average, but it totally worth it.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
What songs have you been using lately for your Wedding Highlight, First Dance, Introduction etc. in your recent videos or your upcoming projects?
I don't know if you realized this, but if a music publisher or musician googles their song title, this thread will pop up, and your real name and area of residency shows up, along with evidence that you've used their songs without compensation. I use Smartsound and Killer Tracks.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques