What would you charge for out of state wedding???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What would you charge for out of state wedding????

What would you guys charge to travel out of state for a wedding with one camera to include shots of pre-wedding, wedding and reception? I'm just trying to get some ideas on a fair going rate. Highend Range/Medium and Low if possible.

Thanks,
Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Same as your regular rate plus travel expenses sounds reasonable to me.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Major Player

I charge the same as regular rate, plus how ever much it will cost me to get there (either driving or flying) plus the rate for me to stay over the night before, and depending on how far away the wedding is, stay the night of too. So approximately 400-600 or so more than what you would charge if you were shooting a wedding in your town.
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Louis, it seems to me it depends mainly on whether you want to develop your out of state business. We enjoy the occasional, worthwhile long-distance job and generally charge no extra - in the UK the extra costs may mean a tank of diesel and one or two nights in a motel - total say £150. If we can't get a nearby motel we may ask the clients to cover the accommodation. Looked at over the year the additional costs are easily laid off against the majority which are nearby.

On the other hand, our accountant would argue we should do as Terry suggests and charge the differentials right across the board.

The choice is yours and depends on whether the job would be either very enjoyable or very prestigious or alternatively just a long journey.

One final thought, overseas weddings are a part of the UK scene. Those who buy a video get what the local guy, often contracted through the tour operator, chooses to give them, good or bad. We offer the clients a local shoot organised by us to our specifications through our various contacts amassed over 30 years with the tapes/files sent back to us for editing. That way the client has the control we usually offer. Of course, there's often a premium to be paid but those who pay us see the benefits. If your wedding is out of state but the clients aren't maybe this would be a solution for you?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Trustee

55 cents per mile (if I'm driving) plus a fair amount for travel time plus lodging, meals, etc if I'm staying overnight. My last out of state job (not a wedding) incurred about $1700 in travel costs.

Basically they need to pay for the actual travel expenses plus lost opportunity (i.e. if I'm traveling all day on Friday, I need to get compensated for the time I can't work on Friday.)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys this was very helpful......I just wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off radar with my quote.
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques