DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Jib for wedding videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/470927-jib-wedding-videos.html)

Bart Wierzbicki January 13th, 2010 07:39 AM

Jib for wedding videos

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a Jib for my wedding videos, but the problem is, that they are
1) expensive
2) The biggest issue : it takes too long to set up. It needs to be fast en easy

On my last shoot, I used a monopod and I tried to simulate a jib move, and it worked quite good, but the problem is that the head didn't stay horizontal.
So I was thinking of creating something so I just can add a stick onto it, attach the camera and make the shot.
something like if you fill a bucket with water and raise that bucket with a stick.
Whatever you do, the bucket remains horizontal and no water is spilled.

Does something like this already exist, so I won't have to make it myself. :D

Chris Davis January 13th, 2010 08:42 AM

Check out the Pocket Jib and Pocket Dolly from Kessler Crane.

Roger Van Duyn January 13th, 2010 10:13 AM

I know this won't work very often, but a strategically placed stepladder or stepstool can give a good overhead shot. If you're really good with a monopod, that can work too (thanks to stabilization filters in post like Mercalli and DeShaker). Some of the ladders are quite light, but bulky. It's probably not what you're after. Where's a handy staircase or balcony when you need it? I've even stood on a chair before, even climbed a fancy lampost (neither of these are recommended). I still think in a flexible manner, just don't move that way anymore. (Man oh man, I got old quick!)

Travis Cossel January 13th, 2010 12:50 PM

Bart, we simulate jib shots all the time with our Steadicam Merlin setup. You won't get the same elevation change that you will with a jib, but if you start out crouched and finished with the camera raised over your head, you can get a nice 5-6 foot raise and it looks quite good - I know this because we've had many videographers ask us how we manage to use a jib at weddings. d;-)

Richard Wakefield January 13th, 2010 01:15 PM

exactly the same as travis, but with a glidecam

check out 00:08 to 00:11 on this clip for an example:

Bart Wierzbicki January 13th, 2010 02:10 PM

Hey Travis,
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean with the Merlin.
I have a Steadicam Pilot myself, so at this moment I also try to simulate that by going from the ground to as high as possible, but with the Pilot you can't get really that high.

Great video Richard. Yours ?
Really impressive !
The shots from 00:31.
Is it just a timelapse with photos ?
Really nice.
I also checked out that website about the trained eye. :D
Those other videos are also really nice ("Video Trailers")
There is a lot of use of fast zooms. Are they in camera zooms or zooms in Post by scaling ?

Paul Mailath January 13th, 2010 02:19 PM

check out 00:08 to 00:11 on this clip for an example:

Damm - I keep missing it, I get distracted easy.

I wonder if thay have classes like that for videographers?

on a more serious note - I use the pocket jib. It's easy to set up and smooth. I wouldn't use it own my own though, I always shoot with a 2nd operator

Richard Wakefield January 13th, 2010 02:22 PM

LOL, yeah, alot of guys seem to like that clip ;)
the timelapse parts are just ur usual camcorder sped up shots

and i only produced the boudoir and portraits ones on the trained eye site (see my fxmedia link below)... i'm not sure which company did their other clips with fast zooms, but i liked them

anyway, didn't mean to hijack ur thread with that clip..as distracting as it is!

certainly you can pull off jib-type shots with a glidecam/merlin anyway!

Bart Wierzbicki January 13th, 2010 02:27 PM

Yeah I already found it and have been digging into your sites Richard.
Looks really great !
And an answer to Paul's question is there. ;o)
Richard offers those kind of classes.

Does someone know those lights used in that video ?
They give a great light.
I have been pausing the video, but can't read what's on it. ;o)

Richard Wakefield January 13th, 2010 03:10 PM

LOL - yeah i do offer training but not half naked girls...shame eh!

they are Arri 650 Plus lights... i really wanna get a couple too!!! superb things!

Bart Wierzbicki January 13th, 2010 03:47 PM

I wish I could help you out with the naked girls, but I'm afraid my wife won't let me. ;o)

Ah, those Arri lights look really nice. Do they get hot ? The lights, not the girls. ;o)

But which light is it that you see on 00:45 ? Those grey things.

Richard Wakefield January 13th, 2010 04:18 PM

:)

they do get pretty hot. And I'm sorry I'm not sure what the grey ones are... If I find out I'll get back to u though...

Dimitris Mantalias November 2nd, 2010 06:44 AM

We have a pretty big Glidecam crane and it's a fact that if you want to go from real high to low, there is no substitute gear to this technology. But yes, at least our model requires a lot of time to setup, which makes it really extreme for a wedding event. But for other stuff like live concerts or corporate videos, it's really epic.

Philip Howells November 2nd, 2010 06:59 PM

Bart, there are, of course, many semi-options (we use a monopod to give us a lift in certain shots but the thing a jib can do is to give you a continuous rise from low level to high level. Thinking about our type of job I think the risk for me of getting a jib would be that I'd over use it. Most effect moves work best when they take the viewer by surprise.

Blake Cavett November 7th, 2010 11:02 AM

I have used an 8ft Kessler Crane at two weddings.

Yes, they are expensive, but they also add that little extra something to the production.
First... killer shots.
Second... the B & G mean business when it comes to their video... look what those guys brought!

The crane works best at an outdoor venue because of the size. I have used it in a very large church too.

If it's out of your budget, the option listed above will work wonders... plus the DP Slider has a vertical option that works well.