DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anyone ever use Wix to create a flash site. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/471018-anyone-ever-use-wix-create-flash-site.html)

Stephen J. Williams January 14th, 2010 05:39 PM

Anyone ever use Wix to create a flash site.

Since I've started my wedding business I've been using the 1&1 website builder... It's lacking in several areas.
My buddy turned me onto this wix flash site. It's free and looks like it has the overall look and feel that I would like my site to have. I've only played around with it for about 5 minutes. I've noticed that its basically advertising for them on the side (not a huge deal for me though). It also doesn't look like you can embed video from vimeo. You can embed your own MP4 though which is what I've done in the past.

Anyways, If you guys have any knowledge that might help me out, please let me know.

Steve

Aaron Almquist January 15th, 2010 12:46 PM

Hi Stephen,

I used the free version of WIX to create my website. www.almquistvideoproductions.com I am using Godaddy to host it. You'll see that I posted links to my vimeo page since you can't embed videos. Hope this helps.

-Aaron Almquist

Jim Snow January 15th, 2010 01:51 PM

There is another one that you might want to consider as well called ShowIt. The free version allows 5 pages. It has some nice features.

Showit - Take Control of Your Website!

Chip Thome January 16th, 2010 01:37 AM

Everything I have been reading as of late says to stay away from Flash sites, if you want search engines to find and catalog it. Evidently search engines can not "read" the flash, hence whatever you have in your flash images for text etc, is lost to them.

This really bummed me out, because I really liked the look of a flash intro or flash site.

What I have read as an alternative is to insert flash objects into the HTML page, to gaint he best of both worlds.

Erik Andersen January 16th, 2010 01:06 PM

Chip makes an important point. There are horror stories of photogs/videogs who were on the first page of google, but who were dropped by 10 pages after switching to bludomain or a similar template page. Currently, google does not read the standard flash pages, and any SEO content your site had will disappear the moment you switch to such a template.

What we did was to keep the homepage as it was, and just add content at the top to make it into a "splash" page. Click the link below to see what I mean. Scroll down and you'll see our original homepage content (most of it). This worked perfectly, and we are still right near the top of google.

And we love our bludomain site!

Stephen J. Williams January 16th, 2010 01:46 PM

Thanks for the responses gentlemen... I pretty much had to keep my original page anyways. So I turned it into a splash page for the flash site. I would have hated to lose my page rank with google -->page 6 :-)
Obviously since I'm so far down on the list anyways most of my business doesn't come from google searches. But it is a great point to be made about these flash sites.

I created my site in a few hours... I'm happy with the results for now.

. - PerSempreVideos.com - Affordable wedding videos in South Jersey.

Steve

Andy Shipsides January 16th, 2010 06:16 PM

If you are good with Photoshop then try Adobe Catalyst. It's still in beta but it takes Photoshop files and turns them into Flash websites.

Andy

Chris Davis January 16th, 2010 07:03 PM

Search engines do read flash and they have for a few years. I'd still recommend against a 100% flash site simply because it's not necessary for most business websites - they load unnecessarily slow.

Adam Gold January 17th, 2010 01:19 AM

I think this article is as pertinent now as it was when it was written nearly 10 years ago...

dack.com > web > flash is evil