Bridal Show - Review (with Timelapse) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Trustee

Bridal Show - Review (with Timelapse)

I know that there has been a lot of talk about the relative merits of attending Bridal shows and I just wanted to report on the show I attended this past weekend.

I was at the same show last year and the difference in brides attitudes towards my work and the subject in general were very tangible. Brides actually stopped by because they are seriously looking at video, which was a real switch from the previous year. This particular show cost about $600, for a table for a 1-day show that really only runs 6 hours. The brides and their guests also pay $10.00 each admission to get in. The show is one of a few good ones in a city of about 350,000 people.

I used a 40" Samsung LCD as a monitor and ran .avi off of my desktop system. It looked real sharp and I must say there was a lot of attention on the 5d2 footage - with many comments about how they didn't think that wedding videos were like that. I've only started taking wedding videos seriously for the last year and a half, so I'm still building my portfolio.

One notable thing was that there were at least 8 photogs at the show and only one only videog. Several of the brides mentioned that the sample from the other videog was like watching a home movie. I was swamped pretty much all day and didn't get a chance to check it out.

I fully expect to get at least 4-6 bookings from the show, and the exposure is great.

Anyways, I snapped off a timelapse using the 5D2 that shot about 3600 stills. It's the first timelapse I've shot, but I just picked up a lightly used 20d and a remote timer, so I'm going to shoot some more.

YouTube - Bridal Exhibition Timelapse.mp4
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ken,

We just did our first bridal show this past weekend as well. We felt like it was a great success. There was a huge amount of traffic, and we had two 22" HD screens and a projector screen in the middle of those. I was fortunate because one of our previous client brides asked us if she could help out, and she worked almost the entire day with us and talked to a ton of brides - she was invaluable.

We actually booked a bride and got a deposit at the show, and made several consultation appts for later, and handed out a ton of brochures. Brides were very interested, for the most part. We felt like it was a really great successful show for our first time out! :)

Nice timelapse too, Ken!!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for sharing Ken. I really enjoyed watching it.

We were also at a bridal show this weekend. And like you, we noticed an increase in the number of brides considering videography. We received a lot of positive feedback about our samples, but we'll have to wait and see if it translates to any bookings.
Carla Raposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Very nice. One of these days I'm going to have to actually hop the ferry and go over there. (been in NW Washington my whole life, and never been to Vancouver Island).
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques