DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Business Insurance in Canada (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/471408-business-insurance-canada.html)

Andrew Jezierski January 21st, 2010 10:46 AM

Business Insurance in Canada

I wanted to ask this question in a new thread since we have a bit different insurance situation in Canada than our neighbours down south. No access to group insurance through WEVA for example.

We can add a rider for equipment to home ins. but what about liability and specifically omissions, etc?

Can you write off 100% of extra premium cost for the equipment when added to home ins.?

Shawn Lam January 25th, 2010 02:57 PM

I'm not a tax professional so my standard disclaimer is to seek a professional opinion and my post is for discussion purposes only.

You can write off any additional costs on your home insurance that are business related. You might even be able to write off a portion of your home insurance but that will depend on your policy and I would ask your accountant.

I use a PPOC policy (Professional Photographers Association of Canada) from Cooks ISI, underwritten by Lombard. Cost is $1,025 per year w/ $35,000 of coverage, including rental, offsite, courier, business income, & General Liability. E&O is available only to PPOC members.

I think the agent is different in Ontario (mine is in SK) so visit the PPOC website for your province and start from there.

Andrew Jezierski January 25th, 2010 10:27 PM

Thanks, Shawn, for the info. I'll look them up.

Jason Bowers January 26th, 2010 02:57 PM

Hi Andrew,
We have a specific policy for videographers and pay about $700per year. We have coverage for almost everything which covers equipment in home and at the studio. Right now it is replacement cost up to $25,000. Give Jeff Jones an email at Jones & Associates Insurance and tell him I sent you and he can perhaps quote you or give you direction. Great coverage for the price.

JB

Denny Lajeunesse January 28th, 2010 02:55 PM

Anyone use any outfits out of Alberta? For some reason Alberta always seems to have the lowest insurance rates in the country.

I just don't know who offers what.

Andrew Jezierski January 29th, 2010 10:05 AM

Thanks, Jason for the lead. I'll check him out.

Calvin Bellows February 2nd, 2010 09:52 PM

Hey Denny. I live in Red Deer and I went to a broker. Ing and McKee insurance and they found someone to insure my stuff. For 25K of insurance it costs me about 2K a year. I think there is cheaper out there but I am having a hard time finding them.

Denny Lajeunesse February 7th, 2010 05:14 PM

Is that insurance or a mortgage. o.0

Michael Y Wong February 24th, 2010 12:10 AM

Jason!

Just when I was about to sign the dotted line for insurance, you saved my a$$.

Thank you, I will be giving your guy a call =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bowers (Post 1477570)
Hi Andrew,
We have a specific policy for videographers and pay about $700per year. We have coverage for almost everything which covers equipment in home and at the studio. Right now it is replacement cost up to $25,000. Give Jeff Jones an email at Jones & Associates Insurance and tell him I sent you and he can perhaps quote you or give you direction. Great coverage for the price.

JB

Jason Bowers February 24th, 2010 10:20 AM

Mike,
Whatever I can do to help. One day I will come to you with a request, and you will do it and not ask any questions.
Jeff is on his honeymoom right now but definitely give him a call. The company is great and the coverage is awesome. Just add sewer backup, it is only $16yr but well worth it in case anything stupid happens.

JB

Peter Manojlovic February 24th, 2010 11:35 AM

If you're working from home, could you just not add a rider to your existing policy??

The way insurance companies are run in Canada, unless you're ready to claim total loss and kidney failure, their deductables and later premiums aren't worth the claim....

Jason Bowers February 24th, 2010 11:49 AM

Hey Peter,
The deductible is only $500 and it covers so much more than contents. It covers location, equipment, damage, liability, theft, etc... Without business insurance you are really taking a risk.