behind the scene clip of "It's Coming!" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

behind the scene clip of "It's Coming!"

DP Slider - take1productions' Photos
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Awesome Don,

When is it available, and how much does it cost?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

it is available now Ken. info on website www.dpslider.com
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Your video clips answered many questions, but,

I've never used one or been on a set where one was used, so I'll "put you through a simulated picky-customer inquiry/suggestion scenario", kinda' like being a customer at the counter of a vendor:

What about specs/recommendations:
What was the weight of the video cam setup used to shoot the demo reel?
What is the heaviest weight you have tested for both vertical and horizontal positions?
What is the max weight you recommend for use on each size? (I.e. 10-12 lbs. of gear on the 47" slider mounted on a tripod seems a bit much. At what weight or length do you suggest that supports at either end be used instead of a tripod as a single, center of balance?

What is the weight of each slider size? (Like I said, picky).

While rollers instead of ball bearings make for smoother motion, (as shown in the demo), when a camera is at the extreme position, without bracing at either end, is there shake in the horizontal for each/any size? (I suspect an operator's light touch would ehlp there).

Even though the brake is not to be used in the vertical, is there a bumper of some sort to help prevent a cam from falling straight down if the op "loses their grip"? (No pun intended)? (Example: if the vertical units had even a slight taper at the last inch or 2 of the rails, at least that would prevent a camera from slamming down against the tripod).

Even though the brake is not intended for vertical use, in your heart you must realize that some will try it. What is the max weight you've either tested or that you recommend be placed on it?

Are center and/or distance measurements etched on each size of slider? (Can't really tell from the demo).
Do you sell all sizes in a kit?
Is there a bag/case included?

It wasn't clear to me in the video, but is the slider "system" basically a base unit, with extensions that can be attached to lengthen travel? Or, is each length a separate unit?

The bearings are "...internally lubricated for life." Are the bearings metal or synthetic?

Are replacement parts available? Or if damaged/lost, (e.g. feet, screws, plastic cap-stops), must entire new units be purchased?

Are the feet interchangeable for the different vertical sizes? Can only 1 set of feet be purchased, then the same feet be used for the different height sliders?

Are curved ones coming next?

Are there plans to make one that could be mounted on/used with a crane? (Quite a challenge there, I guess).

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Would also be helpful if demo showed a clip from a camera that is mounted on the slider while doing something like manually adjusting focus, changing a camera switch, plugging in a mic, and opening the LCD...all shown with the shooting cam in the extreme positions for both vertical and horizontal...show actions that might impart some vibration/movement while in use, with the brake for horizontal both on & off.

The teaser shows impressive shots, and with the different lengths available, they offer a new realm of versatility. Having seen the photos, they certainly look like durable and high-quality products, but, I'll have to hold off, because frankly, I was surprised at what initially strikes me as a relatively high price. My original guesstimate after watching the first teaser was between 2/3 and 3/4 of the selling price, (though I suspect roller bearings contribute a little to the higher cost); I never expected some sizes to cost more than any tripod I'd be likely to use for support. I envy those who can get them now, but I'll have to put these on my wish list for a while. Hoping to be able to place an order in the future, though. Great idea.

Please forgive my pickiness, and accept my thanks. HTH.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Don,

Great looking product, best of luck in the market. One comment---please slow down the auto changing photos on the website, it's imposibble to read whats there as they change sooooo fastttttt.

Thanks
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Very nice, Don! I love the vertical stuff!!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Any introductory promo price or other specials ????? :P

DVinfo only special ??? buy one get one ???? I'm sure you'll sell at least 20 of them straight away!

just kidding :)
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Major Player

I had the opportunity to spend a little time with the DP Slider down at IN[FOCUS]. I was very impressed with the smooth shots I was able to get. I have heard others complain about not being able to get consistant speeds, almost like some sliders stick or have some resistance when sliding back and forth. Not so with the DP Slider. I was equally impressed with the quality of the build. It felt like a very well built piece of gear.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

What was the weight of the video cam setup used to shoot the demo reel?
Canon 5d with 24-70 lens

What is the heaviest weight you have tested for both vertical and horizontal positions?
Sony EX3 loaded with wireless mic & on cam light with 2 brick batteries

What is the max weight you recommend for use on each size? (I.e. 10-12 lbs. of gear on the 47" slider mounted on a tripod seems a bit much. At what weight or length do you suggest that supports at either end be used instead of a tripod as a single, center of balance?

I have used EX1 on the 47 inch on 1 tripod with no problem. Had to add weight to the tripod so it won’t tip over.

What is the weight of each slider size? (Like I said, picky).
Don’t know. Planning on taking them all to ups for a weigh in soon

While rollers instead of ball bearings make for smoother motion, (as shown in the demo), when a camera is at the extreme position, without bracing at either end, is there shake in the horizontal for each/any size? (I suspect an operator's light touch would ehlp there).
No shake

Even though the brake is not to be used in the vertical, is there a bumper of some sort to help prevent a cam from falling straight down if the op "loses their grip"? (No pun intended)? (Example: if the vertical units had even a slight taper at the last inch or 2 of the rails, at least that would prevent a camera from slamming down against the tripod).

Even though the brake is not intended for vertical use, in your heart you must realize that some will try it. What is the max weight you've either tested or that you recommend be placed on it?
I have tested with the EX1 and it holds but I DO NOT recommend the practice.

Are center and/or distance measurements etched on each size of slider? (Can't really tell from the demo).
No

Do you sell all sizes in a kit?
???

Is there a bag/case included?
not at this time

It wasn't clear to me in the video, but is the slider "system" basically a base unit, with extensions that can be attached to lengthen travel? Or, is each length a separate unit?
each length is a separate unit

The bearings are "...internally lubricated for life." Are the bearings metal or synthetic?
Metal

Are replacement parts available? Or if damaged/lost, (e.g. feet, screws, plastic cap-stops), must entire new units be purchased?
replacement parts are available

Are the feet interchangeable for the different vertical sizes? Can only 1 set of feet be purchased, then the same feet be used for the different height sliders?
It would be more costly to buy individual component

Are curved ones coming next?
Not at this time

Are there plans to make one that could be mounted on/used with a crane? (Quite a challenge there, I guess).
Not at this time
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ficek View Post
Don,

Great looking product, best of luck in the market. One comment---please slow down the auto changing photos on the website, it's imposibble to read whats there as they change sooooo fastttttt.

Thanks
you can freez any frame by clicking the one you want on the right side
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Major Player

I can also support what Mark said about the DP Slider, I saw it at IN[FOCUS] as well. The DP Slider is way smoother than my Igus built slider (zaza slider, kessler pocket dolly, glidetrack). The Igus stuff uses a "plastic" bearing where the DP Slider uses metal "Wheels" I believe (Don, correct me if I'm wrong here). The plastic sometimes gets stuck and ruins a shot and every time i played with the DP Slider I didn't have that problem. The many different ways you can mount the DP Slider was really awesome as well. I like how the higher end model he sells has a locking carriage and you can put quick release plates on the feet to do vertical shots. Overall, I think the value is incredible and I might just upgrade to one :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the igus built sliders are a little noisy as is the Cinevate Atlas (one with bearings), but the DP Slider was virtually silent. For those of you trying to use audio while sliding, this might be important.

Last edited by Cody Dulock; January 26th, 2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: asdf
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques