I want to hear about your WEDDING packages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Major Player

I want to hear about your WEDDING packages

Hi there,

I was wondering what other videographers standard wedding packages are (amount of hours, equipment included, and type of end video).

I currently use the Sony Z5, Z1, and Fx7 Cameras and have a 5 hour, 7 hour, 10 hour, and 15 hour packages. End video is cinematic at begining and reception is more documentary.

Check out my stuff at Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin and tell me about your wedding packages and whats the most popular for your area and your price ranges.

Thanks in advance!
Become a Face Book fan of my business if you like by going to the contact page of the website.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

I do 2, 3, 7, and 15 hour packages.

The two hour is unedited and with 1 camera, so it's very very basic.

Editing starts with the 3 hour package.

All packages allow some degree of customization (Extra camera and events covered etc)

Kyle
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Silas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
Hi there,
I was wondering what other videographers standard wedding packages are (amount of hours, equipment included, and type of end video).
I've split up the services into three categories - shooting, the options selected for the day and editing. The only thing a couple has to decide when they book is that they want me there. That is the coverage fee and is paid with the signing of the contract. It covers the activities at two locations. Same-day edit, photo montage, projection and additional locations are paid for by or on the wedding day and are invoiced out rather than being included on the contract. The editing is a decision the couple makes after the wedding. The options are unedited, highlights, documentary or cinematic. That is also invoiced out, paid for when editing commences.

I shoot with Canon XH-A1's.

Last edited by Joel Peregrine; January 23rd, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the replys.......

I ve noticed that I can make a way better video with the 7 or 10 hour packages then a 5 hour or less package. Theres more time to shoot the location, get detail shots, etc.

With a under 5 hour package, what are your rates, and whats included?
I know for really small weddings, and especially weddings that skip some of the typical things (like the 1st dance etc) that 5 hours is fine. Only problem you have is making sure you got enough shots to make everything look cinematic sometimes.

Love to hear back,
Check out my packages and samples at
Wedding & Corporate Video, Sacramento, Roseville, Folsom, Rocklin
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Major Player

We do more of a documentary style approach.

2 hours means if the ceremony starts at 6, we will leave at 8. So, whenever the reception starts, we usually urge the bride and groom to do the 5 major events (entrance, first dance, cake cutting, bq toss, and fake exit as quickly as possible). Because, generally speaking, clients who hire us for this are having a small reception with no alcohol or live band, and 75% of the guests will be leaving withing 60 minutes anyway, and it makes more interesting footage if there are more guests for the bq and exit.

Same thing with 3 hours. If the ceremony starts at 6 we leave at 9, and the above applies, but it's not quite so "hurried". The difference is 2 cameras are used at the ceremony and there is editing.

We usually arrive a little bit early and get footage of the door decorations, isle decorations, stained glass, flowers on stage, candles etc.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Major Player

I do one package only. 2 hours before the ceremony until an hour after the first dance. If the bride doesn't want me filming her getting ready, I will stay an hour longer at the end. I NEVER lower my prices. A rival gives all these "silver", "Gold" and "Platinum" and ends up earning far less. Don't give them a choice and they will have to pick the only package you offer.

It hasn't affected me. Bookings for 2010 are through the roof. 26 so far and the exhibition season is only just starting. I should hit 40+ this year. I have also upped my pricing and now have to charge VAT at 17.5%, yet its never been so good.

Personally I think the more you charge, the more you attract the bride that doesn't care about price but wants you regardless of your price. I am over £300 more than 2009, but have far more bookings already than this time last year.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Steve,

"Personally I think the more you charge, the more you attract the bride that doesn't care about price but wants you regardless of your price. I am over £300 more than 2009, but have far more bookings already than this time last year."

I have to disagree to an extent. The price point may not be an issue if you're referred by an event designer. I see that often - unimpressive work at some really high-profile events. But for a bride shopping for herself the most important thing is the work. Saying that you're getting more work because your pricing is higher makes no sense at all. Obviously either your work has improved or you're casting a much larger net to get those bookings at a higher rate while at the same time turning more away that can't afford your new pricing.
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the replys guys, so what do you think of....

So what do you all think of my 5, 7, 10, 15 hour packages?
Should there be a even smaller one?
The 5 hour package starts at $795.
There is a competitor in my area who has a similar price and is on page 1 of google, so I feel like I can't raise my prices.

Any thoughts?

Check out my demos and package info at my website and let me know what you all think,

Thanks!!
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a "Ceremony Only" package for $599.00. It covers just the ceremony, no prep, no photo shoot, no reception, 1 SD DVD. I do this for people that really want something but can't afford more. The editing time is minimal, just enough to cut out the dead spots, add a title, end credits and burn.

Last edited by Jim Schuchmann; January 24th, 2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

We only offer Unlimited time at two locations. Here's the selling point and the benefit to US.
#1) We get more footage so it's easier to find good shots.
#2) We can't go do another wedding on the same day so why nickel and dime over hours?
#3) Selling point: "You shouldn't worry about what "WE" are doing on your special day. The last thing you need to worry about is "How much longer before the video guy leaves? Should we go ahead and cut the cake so we don't miss it on the video?"
#4) We don't have to worry about the B/G pushing us to do this and do that so they can keep us under their budget.

In the past I had hourly rates, but I am MUCH happier with the Unlimited time format.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mike, I'm with you on that. We're just starting, but we basically eliminated all these "options and choices." Give the client a focused package choice, and give them quality. If we're scheduled for a wedding, might as well be there and get good footage, why leave early?

(At one of our weddings last year, the photographers left early, and we stayed till the end. They opened up the pool and all the guests, bride and groom jumped in. We wouldn't have gotten that if we were on 'hourly.')

We're still trying to figure out what the best packages are, but currently we have 3. And they all include the basic edit which is an approx. 2:45 hour video of their day. However it's a quality edit with the dead parts cut out, music, etc.

So far, our clients have been quite happy, and because of the simplicity of our offerings, it makes the bride/groom's choice easier.

And if they don't like it, it's all good :)
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well, We've been doing this for about 8 years now, so I think it works well. :)
I had a similar situation happen on a wedding. The Photographer left after her "hours" without getting the entire reception. The couple and their family were VERY upset, but it made us look GREAT! We stayed until the end and they booked us for their other daughters wedding a few months later!
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Major Player

I like the unlimited hour idea....

That sounds like a great idea, so does that mean that you do not do any less then full packages? (such as budget brides who try to knock off 25% off your price and skip everything after the 1st dance or something like that?)

What are your price ranges for unlimited hours, Mike?
Also, how many cameras and whats included? Highlights? Lighting? Glidecam? Wireless Audio for ceremony? What do you do for reception toasts audio?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I only do 1 wedding package which includes bride preparation through end of reception. The reason is I only own 1 camera, so I have to rent extra cams and cannot afford to rent and make any money on just a ceremony package.

JDinges Videography

Feel free to comment in any way on my website, I just finished updating it and did all the site design myself.
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
That sounds like a great idea, so does that mean that you do not do any less then full packages? (such as budget brides who try to knock off 25% off your price and skip everything after the 1st dance or something like that?)

What are your price ranges for unlimited hours, Mike?
Also, how many cameras and whats included? Highlights? Lighting? Glidecam? Wireless Audio for ceremony? What do you do for reception toasts audio?

Thanks in advance!
A few years ago a good friend (or so I thought, but that's another story... sheesh!) was doing low budget $750 single camera weddings and wanted me to go in business with him. At the time I was charging $1600 for unlimited time two camera weddings as a base price package. He was pretty busy so I let him join me and use my company name. Well, after a few low budget weddings not paying or delaying payment, I dumped the idea and went back to my standard two cam package. Needless to say it didn't work out.
We offer two HD cameras with operators for unlimited time at two locations.
2 SD DVDs with advanced motion menus
1 Blu-Ray with advanced motion menus.
Wireless (actually digital recorders) on groom and podium for speakers.
Full coverage of reception.
Ending credits
Photo montage with up to 60 photos.
all for $1300 (in todays economy... special price that will slowly go back up this year).
We stay pretty busy actually.
The next package up offers the same as above with:
Love story video
Gown/Tux fitting
We page with video
More DVDs and Blu-Rays
You get the idea. We don't charge for time, we charge for extras.
This way the couple knows what they are getting, and they aren't watching the clock.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques