DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Communication with B-Cam.. C-cam.. etc etc? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/471691-communication-b-cam-c-cam-etc-etc.html)

Josh Fung January 25th, 2010 08:54 PM

Communication with B-Cam.. C-cam.. etc etc?

Hi Guys, Just wondering do you guys use Walky talky with headset, or Hand signals or only discussion before wedding begins ...

Philip Howells January 26th, 2010 11:16 AM

My own view is that in weddings there's someone's law that says the only time I really want to talk to my colleagues is when any speech would be disruptive :)

On the other hand, if you're determined I'm just about to sell on ebay UK three radio headsets with PTT running on 49.844 Mhz. They're not new and show some wear but they still work. I'll PM you with details if you wish.

MOD - if this last paragraph transgresses a forum rule please accept my apology and edit or move as you think fit.

Blake Cavett January 26th, 2010 11:16 AM

I've used the cell phone and text messaging before. But when a cam operator is touching his camera, he's getting a shot.

When he's standing by his camera and NOT touching it, he has a great shot and I'm free to move to get mine. Once I get mine... hands OFF the camera.

Dawn Brennan January 26th, 2010 11:28 AM

We do the same as Blake... the only hard part of this is if the congregation stands and we can't see each other, but for the most part... works like a charm.

We tried walky-talkies... and it was impossible to hear over music but we had to talk too loud to use them while anything else was going on. Useless...

We use cellphones if absolutely necessary by texting...

Marty Welk January 26th, 2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1477459)
My own view is that in weddings there's someone's law that says the only time I really want to talk to my colleagues is when any speech would be disruptive :)

well it is written now :-) The Philip Howells Law, communication at prime events becomes most nessisary when every participant in said event would hear it.

we use communication as a constant for all 2-3 camera live switched events, but weddings, bat/bar Mitzvahs, Funerals, and other such events in church type buildings with low sound levels, and acousticly conductive buildings is only done when swearing across the room would not be as good :-)

49Mghz cheapo headsets are enough (transmission distance), FRS radios with headphone adapters are cheap now . wont use cell phones because they can cause terrible interfearance with some things.

Erik Andersen January 26th, 2010 01:27 PM

We've been wanting to try using bluetooth headsets that can be paired, such as...

Dragon V2 Bluetooth Headset with 328 ft range, Class-1, headset-to-headset communication

But the new "law" would be a problem unless whispers could get through.

Shaun Roemich January 26th, 2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Andersen (Post 1477528)

Those won't go peer to peer though, will they? They appear to be able to be paired to two PHONES... or am I missing something?

Dave Blackhurst January 26th, 2010 02:17 PM

view the demo on the linked site - you can pair up two of these.

Erik - if the reference is to the new FCC regs, that affects a specific spectrum - it is still possible to operate wireless gear in other frequency ranges, such as FRS radios...

Shaun Roemich January 26th, 2010 02:36 PM

Thanks Dave. Didn't see that, was going by the text alone. Pretty cool...

Michael Dontigney January 26th, 2010 07:42 PM

Also kinda cool about those... From the FAQ:
"4. How can I connect multiple headsets together for group communications or conferencing?

You can do this using the Callpod Phoenix. The Phoenix links up to 5 headsets in a group conference or push-to-talk communications environment."

Be kinda cool for multiple cam operators.

Kyle Root January 26th, 2010 08:47 PM

for the longest time we've done the "Watch each other closely" and if hands are on the camera, that means that the shot is being set up. Once set, the hands are off the camera and then the other camera operators are free to do their shots. This has worked well for 10 years.

Recently, I've thought about using cellphones because my phone can do 3 way calling. Utilizing this with your typical standard in-ear phones could prove to be useful.

Another thing I've thought of, is maybe using a couple of those wireless video transmitters you get from radio shack for $100 and a couple small cheap monitors to beam signals from a couple different positions, so each operator can see what the other is shooting and compose their shot to complement it etc. Ideally that would all be battery powered so you wouldn't have to run a bunch of extension cords etc. The main thing there would be setup time and take down time though.... take down time can be at a premium if you've got to pack up and run across town to where the reception is...

Marty Welk January 27th, 2010 05:42 AM

just to warn you those cheap video transmitters for $100 and less, wont work in most of these situations. meaning they are so bad that you often cant even monitor what the other person is doing, when many humans are inbetween the antennas, even when given line of site.