Zoom power and Sony's Cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Zoom power and Sony's Cameras

I have the Sony FX7 which is a little old now, but it has a great zoom, 20x, 37.4-748mm.
My newer Z5 camera has 20x as well, but starts wider so its not as powerful zoom. I was comparing different sony Models and it appears that for the under 5k price range the FX7 is the most powerful (not to mention only 2.8 Fstop rather then 3.8 Fstop on Z5 **frown at Sony)

While I rarely have need to zoom in more, in some types of events its nice to be able to. Any suggestions? I ve seen telephoto adaptors and wondered if that might be a good choice.

All you 12x and 14x zoom camera users probably know what I am talking about!

Thanks in advance,
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Silas

Ok, I'm on Panasonic HMC cams and for me the wideangle aspect is way more useful than 20X zoom!!!! Most wedding parties are quite large now so the ability to stay quite close and get everyone in the frame is important. Mine have 12X zooms and I doubt whether I ever go more than 3 or 4X !!!
Unless you are on an awesome tripod zooming out to 20x is pretty hard to avoid the wobbles!! On my stedicam the camera is is always on full wide. I really cannot think of any reason why anyone would need to zoom 20x at a wedding??? Wildlife filming yes, but an intimate event like a wedding, no!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Major Player

I use my 20x zoom on weddings all the time, and a steady tripod = great shots!
Anyone can shoot a wide shot, in fact you dont need a professional to shoot a wedding if your just doing wide shots. I do alot more then weddings tho,

And sometimes, it would just be nice to have a bit more zoom power when your on the balcony of a church trying to get in super tight on the emotions at the wedding.

For large events and venues, (we are talking magor events, 1000s+ people, HUGE places) it would for sure be nice to have something around 30X I believe. And imagine the depth of field you could get too!!!! Wow.

Any comments?!
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Trustee

I've never felt the need to go beyond 20x or about 770mm on my xlh1 - in fact I don't think I've gone to 20x - mostly because not only are vibrations magnified, but you don't really know when someone might move and throw your composition out a little so you really have to babysit the shot to keep everyone well composed.

I think that one of the great things about HD(V) capture is the ability to zoom in a little in post if you need it.

With the 5d2 (DSLR) my biggest lens is 200mm, to a full frame sensor, and I have rarely gone to the full zoom.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Maybe I am the only one, but I find that a bit of extra zoom would be helpful, especially for shows where you are shooting from the back of the venue (imagine shooting about 200-300 feet). As far as the person moving in the shot, that does not make any difference if they are too far away. A heavy duty tripod is required to get shots that don't jiggle.

20x is great, but sometimes I wish i had a bit more. Any ideas?
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Both Raynox and Schneider/Century Optics make some pretty good adapters. You can read all about them at their websites and at B&H.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques