Best Shotgun Mic for indoor weddings, but can use outside? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks guys, I really just need a mic that will back up the wireless if they fail and pick up voices during the reception on an EX1r
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #17
Trustee

A slightly different specification than your original message Kelly but easier to answer. If you can afford a Sennheiser ME66 that would be many people's first choice but we find AT897's more than adequate at a significantly lower price.

Incidentally in my experience it'll be your batteries that will fail before the radio mics themselves but it's wise to have backup.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #18
Major Player

The me66 is the workhorse of the mid-priced shotguns - you can also switch out the capsules on the k6 power module and use an me64 which will work better in "live" indoor settings, or an me67, whch would be preferred outdoors. The me66 is a reasonable compromise. It's a very hot mic - so you will often use it with ATTenuation on. This will help out the cheap pre-amps.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Phill. The ME66 is the one.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #20
Major Player

I am very pleased with the Rode NTG-2 I use with my Sony V1U and the Rode Videomic I use with my Canon HV20.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #21
New Boot

What wireless and/or Lav mics do you prefer using when shooting weddings? I am not looking for the absolute best of the best, but I would like to invest in ones which give quality sound.

Also, I know some of you like to use mics which hook onto the DJ's speakers during a reception. I was wondering what advantage this technique offers?

Thanks a alot in advance for the advice and insight :-)
Vishal Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #22
Trustee

The Me66 is a fantastic mic for outdoor usage.
But fails for indoor use due to the fact that it is too sensitive.

Shotgun mics are already at a disadvantage for indoor use, due to the fact that the mic itself is long and pickup up room reflections coming back to the mic. Add to the fact a very sensitive mic like the Me66 and I don't know if you will be happy using it indoors.

I prefer the AT897 or Rode NTG1 or NTG2, as both perform very good for all around indoor/outdoor use.

Just so you know, for indoor use you are better using a hyper-cardioid or cardioid mic, as they will have much better side rejection. Also remember, that to get the best audio, try to keep your mic as close to the source as possible. If you are 10-15 feet away form your audio source, then you might as well forget about good audio pickup.

Although I will say that the Neumann | KMR82I - Condenser Microphone | KMR 82 I | B&H Photo would work from a distance, but it's a very long mic.
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Vishal,
I've been using the Audio Technic dual Channel (1821) receivr with 2 body paks for ceremonies for about 2 years. I've been very pleased with the sound but I am using Countryman EMW mics not the stock ones. For the reception I use a Sennheiser E604 drum mic with the AT plugin transmitter back to my camera and place that in front of the DJs speaker. That coupled with my AKG Blueline Hypercaroid on the camera gives me very controllable audio. I used to plug into the soundboard but stopped because I ran into a few DJs that had no idea what they were doing and could have really messed up my audio. By not relying on them directly, if my audio is messed up, then it's my fault and that hasn't happened in too many years to remember.
Keep in mind though that it's not just the mics and such, it's knowing how to use them within the limits of your audio gear and camera if you're recording straight back to the camera.
I NEVER put a piece of gear into play until I have put it thru it's paces under controlled situations, like mics. I put some good old rock and roll on my 600W surround sound system, crank it up and try different settings until I'm happy with what I get, then at least I have a starting point.
That's what I do, others have different ways, your choice. YMMV.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #24
New Boot

Thanks Michael and Don
Vishal Gupta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques