DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Diaries for 2011 and 2012 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/472459-diaries-2011-2012-a.html)

Steve Shovlar February 8th, 2010 05:16 AM

Diaries for 2011 and 2012

This is a real pain. As an event videographer, most of the business coming in now is for 2011 with a few for 2012. But is there a 2011 and/or 2012 diar out there so I can get them written in and be easily at hand? Nope. Not in the UK at any rate. There is an A4 desktop version buut its too big to carry around. As far as I see it, diary makers are missing a trick by not releasing 2011 diaries early for those that need them ( at a premium price of course!)

I guess I have no other choice but have to buy a blank book and hand write in the dates in the corners. A pain. Unles any of you know where in the UK I can get an A5 sized 2011 diary. Then I can happily write in all the bookings, instead of the currnt state of affairs which isn't ideal.

Paul Mailath February 8th, 2010 05:29 AM

I'm sure there's a Iphone app for that...

seriously what are you doing with manual diaries?

something like outlook can connect with most phones so you constantly have an up to date diary - there are lots of electronic options.

Richard Wakefield February 8th, 2010 05:51 AM

hey steve

honestly, an iphone with the Saisuke app is the way forward. it's a superb calendar that syncs with google calendar and outlook. (i.e. you write/update on any, and it syncs with the others). Not only that but you can share calendars with other people/companies. My partner photography team and I can't live without it right now.

you'll never need to write anything on paper ever again.

(assuming you have an iphone ;)

good luck

Steve Shovlar February 8th, 2010 07:58 AM

Yes I do have an iPhone and thanks for the heads up. I researched Saisuke but have now ended up with Informant as it doesn't need a google thingy and has better reviews.

The reason I haven't gone down this route is because if someone calls me up on the iphone asking for a date next year, how can I check while taking to them? A paper diary on my desk is at hand and doesn't have me faffing about trying to talk while opening an iPhone diary.

Philip Howells February 8th, 2010 08:46 AM

Steve, perhaps like you I still find a pencil and paper book useful and so I share your chagrin at the lack of diaries.

To make my own I find Simply Calendars from Skerryvore Software very useful - maybe you can find something even more suitable.

Cody Dulock February 8th, 2010 10:22 AM

I thought that was the big thing with the iPhone, that you could check other apps while still being on the phone... isn't that what the commercials have all been about lately?

Nicholas de Kock February 8th, 2010 10:55 AM

It's still a good idea to have a paper backup.

Will Tucker February 8th, 2010 01:56 PM

Speaking just for myself, I like having a paper back-up for all my events. Electronic, and my trusty Audubon weekly engagement calender. The nature pics helps put my mind at rest as I jot down my dates. A cartoon stip is never funny all week if you look at it once a day--just saying.

Steve Shovlar February 8th, 2010 02:32 PM

I have now added all my 2011 and 2012 dates into Informant.

iPhone doesn't multitask to any degree. You can't chat away on the iPhone, or any phone for that matter while looking up dates with the same device at the same time. Unles you stick the person on the other end on speaker phone while you surf the details. Not very professional and not for me.

At least now I will now have all my bookings with me at all times which will be handy. But I will still have two copies of my bookings at home on old fashioned paper.

Chris Davis February 9th, 2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar (Post 1483327)
You can't chat away on... any phone for that matter while looking up dates with the same device at the same time.

Sure I can, with my HTC Hero and my Bluetooth headset.

Paul Mailath February 10th, 2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar (Post 1483327)
iPhone doesn't multitask to any degree.

have you tried?

I can take a call and check my diary or even play a game (I only do that when my wife's on the phone)