DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Insurance for your equipment. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/472491-insurance-your-equipment.html)

Kelly Langerak February 8th, 2010 04:10 PM

Insurance for your equipment.

I'm looking for anyone who insures their equipment with a company other than their home insurance policy and who you use!

I currently have Travelers Insurance for our cars and home.

How do you insure it (as professional use, home use?)

Jason Robinson February 8th, 2010 06:41 PM

I don't, but was considering getting coverage via WeDJ.com

Kelly Langerak February 8th, 2010 07:39 PM

?

That website doesn't seem to offer in INSURANCE!

Chad Whelan February 8th, 2010 07:48 PM

4evergroup

You need to become a member of the video group then you can purchase equipment and liability insurance though an outside partner. I thought it was very inexpensive compared to everything else I had found. See link here: http://4evergroup.org/insurance.shtml

Jason Robinson February 8th, 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak (Post 1483478)
That website doesn't seem to offer in INSURANCE!

Correct. You have to be an advertising member (<$150 / yr) and then you can apply for their group policy. very reasonable rates.

Kelly Langerak February 8th, 2010 08:43 PM

Cool. Thank you. It looks like its about $150 per $15,000 for full coverage of equipment.

Don Bloom February 8th, 2010 09:33 PM

I've been using RVNuccio for a number of years, both gear and liability. IIRC I insured $15000 and 2 mill liabilty was about $300 per year.

Bill Vincent February 9th, 2010 07:54 AM

Buell Insurance offers a discounted rate for WEVA members - and I think they are reasonable even without the discount.

Chris Davis February 9th, 2010 09:58 AM

Replacement insurance on your equipment is far less important than liability insurance. If your camera's stolen, you've lost a couple thousand - if someone trips on your poorly-placed tripod and breaks their neck, you've lost everything.

Make sure you get a package deal. I pay about $500 per year.

Sarah Pendergraft February 9th, 2010 12:15 PM

Very true. We just got our insurance a couple of months ago. We went with State Farm because we did want to keep everything conveniently under one roof so to speak. They actually have a plan designed for photographers that worked for us too. It included liability insurance and coverage for our equipment. One thing they pointed out is that the basic insurance on equipment only covers if it's stolen, not if someone breaks it. There's an "add on" for that, which we did get. Not sure if it's this way with other companies, but it's worth asking.

Jonathan Bufkin March 3rd, 2010 01:03 PM

We pay about $32 per month for $500,000 business liability and $15,000 in equipment coverage through Shelter Insurance (national chain). An "Inland Marine" policy covers our equipment. Sounds weird to be called that but check it out with your agent. If you live in TN area send me a PM and I could give you our agent's number. We looked into this for a long time before finding an affordable option because we didn't want to join an organization to get it. They have our home and auto insurance as well but those are separate.

Paul Hudson March 4th, 2010 07:04 AM

I buy my business insurance from the same broker as my house and cars (Allstate). I do get a package price for all the policies.

Paul Hudson

Harry Christensen March 7th, 2010 05:44 PM

I have my insurance through State Farm as part of my household coverage. Sad to say I had a claim a few months back. Our home burnt down with a total loss of everything, including five cameras, my edit bay, and six years of archives. Lots of lessons learned from this, about archives especially, but State Farm has been great and the only problem is We didn't have as much coverage as I should have had. Nobody ever loses everything, but we did. Insurance, with a good company, is important and should not be cut short. I am putting my business back together and hopefully better. I won't have as much equipment but it is all new and better that what I had.