Insurance for your equipment. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Insurance for your equipment.

I'm looking for anyone who insures their equipment with a company other than their home insurance policy and who you use!

I currently have Travelers Insurance for our cars and home.

How do you insure it (as professional use, home use?)
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't, but was considering getting coverage via WeDJ.com
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Major Player

?

That website doesn't seem to offer in INSURANCE!
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Major Player

4evergroup

You need to become a member of the video group then you can purchase equipment and liability insurance though an outside partner. I thought it was very inexpensive compared to everything else I had found. See link here: http://4evergroup.org/insurance.shtml
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
That website doesn't seem to offer in INSURANCE!
Correct. You have to be an advertising member (<$150 / yr) and then you can apply for their group policy. very reasonable rates.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Cool. Thank you. It looks like its about $150 per $15,000 for full coverage of equipment.
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I've been using RVNuccio for a number of years, both gear and liability. IIRC I insured $15000 and 2 mill liabilty was about $300 per year.
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Buell Insurance offers a discounted rate for WEVA members - and I think they are reasonable even without the discount.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Trustee

Replacement insurance on your equipment is far less important than liability insurance. If your camera's stolen, you've lost a couple thousand - if someone trips on your poorly-placed tripod and breaks their neck, you've lost everything.

Make sure you get a package deal. I pay about $500 per year.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Very true. We just got our insurance a couple of months ago. We went with State Farm because we did want to keep everything conveniently under one roof so to speak. They actually have a plan designed for photographers that worked for us too. It included liability insurance and coverage for our equipment. One thing they pointed out is that the basic insurance on equipment only covers if it's stolen, not if someone breaks it. There's an "add on" for that, which we did get. Not sure if it's this way with other companies, but it's worth asking.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Major Player

We pay about $32 per month for $500,000 business liability and $15,000 in equipment coverage through Shelter Insurance (national chain). An "Inland Marine" policy covers our equipment. Sounds weird to be called that but check it out with your agent. If you live in TN area send me a PM and I could give you our agent's number. We looked into this for a long time before finding an affordable option because we didn't want to join an organization to get it. They have our home and auto insurance as well but those are separate.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I buy my business insurance from the same broker as my house and cars (Allstate). I do get a package price for all the policies.

Paul Hudson
Paul Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I have my insurance through State Farm as part of my household coverage. Sad to say I had a claim a few months back. Our home burnt down with a total loss of everything, including five cameras, my edit bay, and six years of archives. Lots of lessons learned from this, about archives especially, but State Farm has been great and the only problem is We didn't have as much coverage as I should have had. Nobody ever loses everything, but we did. Insurance, with a good company, is important and should not be cut short. I am putting my business back together and hopefully better. I won't have as much equipment but it is all new and better that what I had.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques