DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   NTSC or PAL to send to Los Angeles Couple? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/472585-ntsc-pal-send-los-angeles-couple.html)

Richard Wakefield February 10th, 2010 04:46 AM

NTSC or PAL to send to Los Angeles Couple?

Hi all

just a quick question. I'm just about to try and make an NTSC DVD for a couple in Los Angeles (from PAL footage of their wedding last month)

but someone's just told me they should be able to play a PAL DVD?

confused.com! i thought it would be strictly NTSC, but if i don't need to go to any extra effort then please educate me! :)

cheers

Dave Blackhurst February 10th, 2010 05:13 AM

If I understand it correctly, you should go with NTSC. Supposedly some DVD players will play back either format (I've actuallly got a couple that "say" they will, but never tried it - now I'm curious...), but your odds are better if you go with the NTSC...

If I've read it correctly, a PAL player is more likely to be able to play back an NTSC disk than vice versa...

Richard Wakefield February 10th, 2010 05:40 AM

you're completely right in that last sentence!

oh man, i'll guess i'll just play it safe and do it in NTSC :)

thanks alot though, appreciated

Peter Manojlovic February 10th, 2010 11:25 AM

Hey Richard....

If the footage was shot progressive, then simply slow down both audio and video for a 23.976FPS output....
When you encode the 23.976FPS video to Mpeg, simply add the pulldown to the video stream..Whether it's before or after the authouring process is yours to discover.

But this will yield the best quality for your situation...

Howard Neill February 10th, 2010 11:48 PM

Have you asked the couple? If they are originally from a PAL country, they might have a set up which will play PAL? Our son lives in the US. He has facilities for playing PAL and NTSC, because a lot of his home movies were shot in PAL. People from SA & UK send him PAL DVDs. That might apply to your couple.

That said, we often make NTSC DVDs using Adobe Premiere Pro. At the time of DVD creation, I check the appropriate option. The render time is a bit longer and the quality suffers in the conversion process.

Cheers

Danny O'Neill February 11th, 2010 03:10 AM

We had the same dilema with our american couple. NTSC.

Although nearly all modern TV's will play a PAL signal the problem is the DVD player, it may not handle PAL. You should be able to easily slip it to 24p NTSC from your 25p/50i footage. Going to full 30p NTSC will be difficult as it needs frames you dont have.

Richard Wakefield February 11th, 2010 10:32 AM

thanks for all your help....it's an easy enough option in encore, so yes, i'll just go NTSC....it's not like i'm faced with this problem all the time, so as a one-off, it's cool :)

Peter Manojlovic February 11th, 2010 11:30 AM

An easy option in Encore????

Do you have a screenshot of this??
Do you feed encore the AVI, and let it do the conversion, or are you importing compressed data??
I hope the process Encore uses will yield decent quality...But i'm a bit skeptic.

Richard Wakefield February 11th, 2010 01:29 PM

i'm not a compression freak, so don't gun me down on this ;)
but i'll be importing a raw uncompressed avi (shot in PAL), making an NTSC encore project (yes, it's just a NTSC option you click in the project option). quick and easy considering my timeframe...and the fact they landed me with this at the absolute last second...

Bill Engeler February 11th, 2010 02:38 PM

Yes, make an NTSC project for sure. Your workflow should be fine.