Lighting for reception tota or omni? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 10th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Lighting for reception tota or omni?

Hi guys, I'm wanting to buy a light for reception and I'm tossing between lowel tota and omni light. Which one would you recommend? I'm after a light that is strong enough to light the whole dance floor but still soft.

At the moment i'm using the lowel IDlight 100w but its not strong enough most of the time...

Feel free to send me your other recommendations as well for other lights.

Thank you

Santo
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

A Tota is a very broad and un-focused light an Omni is a narrow focused light with the barn doors. If you just want to throw light all over the place go tota. If you wan to focus light on a subject go omni. Different tools for different jobs. Neither is a soft light though.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Major Player

yea, you're right Jerry. Neither is soft.. I guess I kinda hoped they were :P

ermm.. What about 650w red head? or 500w fresnel sort of thing? I see still motion is using big light to light the reception. I really want to have something that can give even lighting to the floor..

I'm thinking about getting a 250w omni for the key, and then use my 100w IDlight as a fill/back light in the opposite direction

what do you think?
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Susanto, I would get two 250W Omni (i.e if you really want to light-up the dance floor or if the venue is really large). If you want soft lights you can try to look-up the Lowell Rifa, it looks too big for me but I have seen it used for weddings (lighting up the presidential table). Still Motion seems to use truss for their lighting, not to sure if that is theirs or the DJs.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't do this often, but when I do I choose to use a wide focused fill light. Some times this is nothing more than a 750 watt contractor's work light bounced off of a low ceiling or a studio umbrella. May sound odd, but when attached to a small dimmer I am able to place just enough fill light to balance my on camera light. Works quite well.

A narrow beam spotlight, like the Tota, will soften with distance. Lumens will drop as well. I often used Totas in business meetings as backlights when I could mount them 20 feet or more away from the area of focus.

However you choose to go, try and keep the color temperature around 3200 degrees Kelvin or higher. Also experiment, as every venue has different qualities.

There is also an excellent post by Mark Van Lanken on this subject. I believe it is within this category.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques