GL2 Lighting for day and night wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 Lighting for day and night wedding

Hi to all, I have searched from the previous thread regarding lighting, but i would like to get your opinion with lights. I will be using a GL2 cam and would like to ask what light should i use for:

1. day wedding
2. night wedding

which will not get very hot.
any suggestion will be much appreciated. thanks to all. another thing...please also indicate price range...you know...newbies are always cost conscious. :)
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Hi to all, I have searched from the previous thread regarding lighting, but i would like to get your opinion with lights. I will be using a GL2 cam and would like to ask what light should i use for:

1. day wedding
2. night wedding

which will not get very hot.
any suggestion will be much appreciated. thanks to all. another thing...please also indicate price range...you know...newbies are always cost conscious. :)
1. day wedding= nothing. If it's during the day there should be no need for additional lighting. Plus I never use lighting in a church and/or during a service.

2. night wedding= I don't think you'll find lighting that won't get "hot". It's the nature of the beast. Granted, higher wattage lights will get hotter than lower wattage lights..however, you'll find that even a 10 watt light can get pretty hot to the touch after being operated for any length of time.

Choices? There are many. For the cost concience a good choice is the Sony 10/20 light. I still do all my glidecam work using this light. When I'm on sticks I'll use my Frezzi mini dimmer with softbox. It's a considerable investment compared to the cost of the Sony 10/20 but it's 100 watts variable, meaning I can dial in just the right amount of light. Other than price the downside is mobility. It requires an external source of power unlike the Sony 10/20 which can be run on a sony battery. So you have to lug around a battery pack and be tethered to it via a cord. Not the most comfortable set-up but yields very good results. My Frezzi footage almost always looks better than my Sony 10/20 footage and requires lest post time to "tweak" luminance and colors. This is becaues of the fact, of course, that the Frezzi allows you to choose the exact amount of light via a dimmer switch rather than a simple toggle between 10watts and 20watts on the Sony.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks glen for the reply, you mean even inside the church, light is not needed for GL2 cam? well that's nice, i've seen before that even inside the church they use, hot lights (may be it's the analog years) one more thing glen, would LED light be useful? i would like to try to DIY one for myself if that will help on slightly low light, like afternoon. :)
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques