7D Wedding Videographer - what am I missing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM   #16
Major Player

You are missing a video camera.

It probably won't be long before the DSLR and the pro-sumer video camera blend into one, but you must recognize the unique differences that continue to exist between the video camera and the still camera. All manufacturers recognize the trend and will be introducing new designs which I feel will capture just about everyone's hearts. Shoot with only a DSLR in video mode? No way! Not yet!

I shoot with two video cameras and one DSLR, which would overheat before capturing a Roman Catholic Wedding with Mass. That DSLR has allowed me to capture some extraordinary footage, and I would not want to be without it, but it remains a less than satisfactory video tool.

There are a bunch of issues that need to be resolved. Still camera lenses excel at shallow depth-of-field, which look great, but also take a lot of time to set up properly. While a challenging (and useful) exercise, being forced to manual focus a DSLR video is a dis-advantage. New camera designs will, and some cases, have, made this issue go away. Used as video cameras, DSLR's are horribly inadequate and user unfriendly, but fully capable of delivering useful images.

If you want to use a DSLR as the basis of your equipment inventory, do so. Just keep a real video camera around. I feel your work will benefit.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #17
Major Player

@ John and Waldmer, I got my goods last week and sent them all back to B&H. Doing mostly one camera shoots and not owning a video camera yet, just didn't make sense. I'm purchasing the EX1r, I know I can't go wrong. Then next year if they introduce

1. Longer than 14min length clips
2. No overheating.
3. Bullet proof cards
4. Easier zoom
5. Better stabilization
6. and most of all better auto focus.

I will purchase one down the road or rent one for my nicer weddings.

I appreciate all the tips. I really like the camera but I did a ton of testing and found it wasn't the right time to incorporate one into my $1000 - $2000 wedding packages yet.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM   #18
Major Player

The EX1r is one impressive camera. I'm betting you have made a very good choice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques