Another new clip- Photo Session montage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Wrangler

Another new clip- Photo Session montage

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...otoSession.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
New Boot

Amazing as usual! What are you using to get those high angle shots? Some sort of crane? Love the wide angle shots too.
John Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow

You are absolutely incredible. Very nice touch
Darrin McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Making good use of the monopod and fisheye I see!

Very nice Glen. Your slo mo is very smooth, is that vegas slo mo?

Cheers

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Great work! Just curious, how do you get away with the music (Titanic in this clip)?
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Jenkins
Great work! Just curious, how do you get away with the music (Titanic in this clip)?
Exactly what I've been wondering. Have seen some wonderful clips from participants in the forum but it seems like there is a huge amount of popular commercial music being used in them and I'd expect it's unlikely that rights have been secured on most of it. Aren't you guys worried about the risk exposure in using it in your product or has too much been made of the dangers? Especially posting your samples on the web seems to be waving a red flag in front of the copyright lawyer bulls. Are you guys trusting to luck or is there a wrinkle I don't know about?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
Exactly what I've been wondering. Have seen some wonderful clips from participants in the forum but it seems like there is a huge amount of popular commercial music being used in them and I'd expect it's unlikely that rights have been secured on most of it. Aren't you guys worried about the risk exposure in using it in your product or has too much been made of the dangers? Especially posting your samples on the web seems to be waving a red flag in front of the copyright lawyer bulls. Are you guys trusting to luck or is there a wrinkle I don't know about?
This issue has been discussed at great length elsewhere on the forums. The last thing I want to do is start an argument over the issue, I appologize if I offended anyone. My intention was to show some edits to possibly inspire and answer any questions regarding editing and shooting techniques.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Wrangler

Just to point out, if y'all would like to have a discussion on music and copyright laws, the business forum is the place to do it. We have lots there already, but always welcome more. If you keep the discussion around the technique rather than the legal aspect, I'm sure the original poster would appreciate it.

Oh, and I'd like to know about your slow motion technique too. Very smooth.

I'd also like to know if did use a boom or crane, did you have any issues with the clients objecting to it intruding on the occasion?
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #9
Wrangler

Mike & Dylan,
Thank you- yes the "boom" shots were created with a monopod. I've found with a little intuition and practice you can mimic jib/crane styles of shots. Monopods that have the mini-tripod legs on the bottom are especially good for this, as they allow you to use them to brace against your body (usually waist/hip area) while going through the movement. The additional point of contact with the body helps a great deal in the stability.

Another tool that helps exaggerate the spacial length is a super wide-angle lense. Despite only moving maybe 3-4 feet..it looks as though your up in the rafters. The lense I use is a .3x raynox (screw mount).

Lastly the slow motion is standard 60i slowed down in Vegas via the "ctrl+drag" method- thus the reason I don't have any magic numbers as far as speed. I simply go by how the footage "looks" when adjusting the playback speed via ctrl+drag method.
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
This issue has been discussed at great length elsewhere on the forums. The last thing I want to do is start an argument over the issue, I appologize if I offended anyone. My intention was to show some edits to possibly inspire and answer any questions regarding editing and shooting techniques.
Have no arguments at all nor was I offended or being critical, just was wondering how people's real-world experiences stack up to the text book discussions on the topic as I'm rather paranoid about using such music myself, much as I might like to. Last thing I need in my life right now is some lawyer breathing down my neck LOL. Last 4 books on DV production I've read, including Jay Rose's 2 books on audio techniques, and DSE's series of articles here have been full of cautions about the dangers, giving the impression that it is open season especially on wedding and event videogrpahers and that many have been put out of business. Was just curious why so many still seem not to worry about it very much.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Glen,

I have been using the monopod legs in my armpits lately and that seems to come out really nice. Very stable.

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Exactly.

I mean, quite honestly.. even if it's just a simple piece designed to either 1) show off skills, or 2) give people ideas for their own work, a halfway competent lawyer could contribute financial well-being to including copyrighted work not having a right to use.

Yeah, the topic has been discussed ad nausem elsewhere (and business is more appropriate) but I think this is a unique instance largely because the person posting the material is a moderator posting content in the subject area of the forum he moderates.

Anyway, if Glenn is up for answering it, I'd like to know how he uses the music that he does. I'm really not trying to be an ass. I'd love to use music the way I think would work best (rather than just using what I can use). But if the answer is what I suspect it is, I think it's a bit risky (esp. for a mod - regardless of the talent level) to appear to condone copyright issues.

IMO, $.02, etc
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
Glen,

I have been using the monopod legs in my armpits lately and that seems to come out really nice. Very stable.

Mike
I used to use that method- compared to using it with leg extensions it's night and day. What model of monopod are you using. Some bogen models can add them without having to change models.
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #14
Inner Circle

im not sure about other countries, but here in Aus the governing body pertianing to music replication/duplication/mechanical(sync) requries a yearly license.
AMCOS/ARIA police business' and make sure they follow the laws pertaining to copyright.

Its amazing how many business' dont license the use of copyrwritten material and i would have to say that 100% of producers here in aus use commercial music regardless of whether or not theyre licensed.

Clients request it, the producer supplies to that requirement else he'd lose the client.

Either way, without a license, the duplication is illegal. The use of the music in syncronous with the footage would be illegal, and the fact that a profit is being made makes it even worse, which in turn means that the producer can be sued for the sale of pirated music..

http://www.apra.com.au/general/corporateApra.asp
will give u info, if u search for similar bodies in your country, you may be able to take care of this copyright issue for your own business in your own country.

moving back to the topic of this post, the work itself is in the usual class of what Glen offers. I only wish i had as much time to work on my own projects this way :)

Id also like to know what monopod is used as im currently looking for one which alows for quick release. I was shooting a wedding once and a guest actually bought an 8 foot long monopod with a bracing bracket of his own, and we used it to good effect, but he got too drunk b the time we gave it back to him so i didnt get that info lol
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #15
New Boot

C'mon guys. The creator of this thread, Glen, does NOT want to discuss musical rights in this thread. If you can't post related to the original subject, please refrain from doing so.

Glen, I thought your clip was wonderful. It made me open up Premiere and look at the dance recital that I just finished to see if I could add a little spice! Two questions - 1, is there an effect in Premiere similar to Vegas to give you that suttle white glow? And 2, do you know of free or cheap compression software that I should get so I can post examples on here? And if there isn't one worth getting that's cheap, which bullet should I bite and go for the best quality?
Matt Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques