First posting on VIMEO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First posting on VIMEO

Alright guys/gals here it is... After a couple up on YouTube I have made the switch to VIMEO and thought I would post this one and see what you guys think. I would really appreciate your feedback on it as I want to improve my skills in this area.
Shot with a Canon XHA1s. Had limited (No) movement options at the church but freedom to follow the couple for the rest of the day...

www.sweetmedia.ca also if you have a minute to check out my site I would appreciate any feedback on that as well.

Cheers!
Darrick
Sweet Media Productions
Darrick Vanderwier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

FYI - You might want to post video samples in the 'video samples' section in the future. It's at the top of the page.

You've done a pretty good job with the edit. One thing I would recommend is to heighten the contrast of your footage a bit within your NLE. This will make it a bit more dramatic and give it more 'pop'. The other thing you can do is get close-ups. I think all of your shots were fairly wide, showing ALL the action .. EVERYTHING that was happening. You don't have to shoot that way. Sometimes just showing a smaller piece of the action is more effective. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Travis Cossel; February 25th, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Travis!
I should have posted there but instead I put it here. My bad... Chris if you would be so kind to move it there I would appreciate it.
As I am sure you guys know I am new to the forums and haven't really checked it all out yet. I read the weddings forum like a bad habit since I joined and am really loving all the helpful stuff ere!
Great site guys!

Thanks again
Darrick
Darrick Vanderwier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Great job man! I love that motorcycle shot!!

Note too, that Vimeo is great, but not accessible on mobile phones like YouTube is. I post all my stuff on both sites.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Great job man! I love that motorcycle shot!!

Note too, that Vimeo is great, but not accessible on mobile phones like YouTube is. I post all my stuff on both sites.
Hey Kelly - Just a question for you. Do you export two different versions/settings of your video for youtube and vimeo uploading? Or does one version encode well for both sites?

Oh yea, just announced last month - If you have a Vimeo Plus account, you can have your videos automatically encoded for mobile playback: Your videos are going mobile! on Vimeo Staff Blog
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Raymond for clarifying that. I don't pay for the premium, but I will now! But must sites today are in flash which Iphone doesn't support yet, correct me if I'm wrong! So then you would have to send clients a link to Vimeo and not your site. I hate that. I'm looking at getting a new site that can play flash and do HTML for people's mobile.

I encode once and upload on both. Is that the wrong way of doing it?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I also hate sending people to a flash only site. Do you have a blog to send people to? If you blog your videos, you can always include a link to the film's mobile version on vimeo/YouTube.

I haven't tried uploading to youtube yet but will try uploading my vimeo versions soon and see how it looks.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Kelly,
Thanks for that tip. I have watched some clips from vimeo on my iPhone so I thought they were good to go. I realized however that it only works for certain videos... special encoding settings???
ahhh Thanks Raymond for the PRO tip. I hadn't read your post yet...
I will continue to use YouTube but I could not register the name I wanted to.
SweetMedia was already taken and so I registered "mysweetmedia" instead

Anyone know how to track down and purchase a youtube user name?
:o)

Last edited by Darrick Vanderwier; February 26th, 2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Add Raymond comment...
Darrick Vanderwier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques