Raw footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Raw footage

Hi guys, do you guys include raw footage on your packages. If yes how much do you guys charge. i usually don't include any raw footage with my packages but i have a bride asking for one on mini dv. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kiflom

In the old days I used to just give the brides the MiniDV tapes as a marketing ploy (full raw footage backup on MiniDV tape). Nowdays with card I try to not offer the raw footage!! What happens if they attempt to edit your footage and do a really bad job and your wedding is all over YouTube?????
If they DO ask for "raw footage" I rather give them a DVD of my MPEG2 files so all the wobbly bits are cut out and at least A and B camera edits are done!! I normally charge a minimal $50.00 for the DVD.

If you are shooting onto MiniDV still, I guess you can supply the tapes but I really cannot see any non-videographer being able to sync footage from 2 cams. If you are shooting HD then I doubt whether they will have the NLE to edit it.

Before going any further I would respectfully ask why???? If it's purely as a backup then that should be OK... if they want to re-edit I would rather give them "pre-cut" footage

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Kiflom, this subject has been discussed a lot on this forum - have you used the search facility to read up on it? If the bride's insisting on the raw then you might have to do a real rough 'n' dirty edit of the genuine raw, otherwise she'll be thinking, 'look at all this cr@p he filmed! Did I pay for this??' And when she bought her kitchen table, did she want all the offcuts, bent screws and sawdust?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Major Player

What I do is charge enough money for raw footage to sway most brides from purchasing it, but enough to make it worthwhile for you if they do. That price happens to be $600 with us. So far I've only ever had 1 taker.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Major Player

I wouldn't do it.

I do the same thing as Andrew. I charge $150 to put it on DVD which pays for removing the really bad parts, but it's good to give them because they get to hear all the audio that comes with it, but I never push them to get it. Everyone who sees the price tag has always told me, "You know, we don't really need it." That is true, they don't need it. They just want to feel like they are getting more for the buck. Don't go into the reasons why you charge so much, I just tell them that is the rate.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you guys, like always you guys came through. (*_________*)
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I nip a little bit off here and there and then I put it on DVDs free of charge.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

For my Basic Documentary package of $1195, the raw footage is not included. If the bride or groom wants it on a DVD, I usually charge about $100.

For my more expensive packages that start at $2495, I include the raw footage, and it's usually a big selling point.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Trustee

"raw" footage is included with all my packages, I believe it's not that they want to feel they get more for their money, it's just a sense of security in case my editing crap, they still have a chance to make it look good, it is a good selling point,
but how do you put it on one DVD, or you burn 10 of them, I usually request hard drive from my clients, on average "raw" is about 60-80 Gb, or you just charge them for the compressed mpeg?
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I put no more than an hour and a half of footage per DVD, and I don't include what my helper shot that night. I put my footage on as many DVDs as it takes.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Major Player

I give the original miniDV tapes and use the 'security' methodology and tell them to put it in a lock box in case their house gets robbed or burns down etc.

It keeps the clutter down around the studio. Previously we never gave the raw footage out and had hundreds of tapes stored in these plastic slidout desktop drawer things we bought at wal-mart.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I think a customer who asks for raw footage actually wants raw footage with a view to having a bash at making their own little version of events. Not sure a compressed version of it on DVD would be much use to them.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #13
Major Player

I include all of the raw footage on blu-ray as part of my package. I switched over to a one package approach this year that has a 25 min edited version and a separate disc of all the raw footage. I will do a quick rough cut on the raw to take out any glaring issues. To answer your question, I would be fair with them on pricing your raw footage on mini dv. This will not be a request that you get a lot, so do not overprice it and give them them a negative vibe.
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
Hi guys, do you guys include raw footage on your packages. If yes how much do you guys charge. i usually don't include any raw footage with my packages but i have a bride asking for one on mini dv. thx
We never include raw footage. (without a really big price tag) :)
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #15
Major Player

re

i just got asked for raw footage form my last weddings , she said not to bother after i said its £400

Its not a true representation on my work.

Luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques