Wedding Discounts and staying firm with prices - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
and he charges $ 700 for the day. He is not bitter but he told me life is not fair. .

i always make sure i tell other vendors, that it is NOT ONE day ever. For us it is minimum one day to prepare everything, minimum 2 days to clean-up edit and finalise, and often that is more like Weeks . I never let anyone be confused that just "drove in" shot and handed them a video and left, it is SOOO not that way.
heck i need a day of rest where i aint moving after any of the half day or full day shoots ( i intend to work it).
i really doubt that the cook, and the driver, and the officiant, the florist, and the party planner and everyone else cant even move the next day :-) and isnt FInished till at least a week later.
Video with editing and (dvd) delivery and now with wonderfull computers, then edited/processes really well, is more like rebuilding the limo after each job :-) We have spent more than 1 million dollers on equiptment that became obsolete and worthless, while the limo years later and after hundreds of jobs can still move down the road.
i dont see them making more or less money, when all the costs and time factors are involved.

if your making $1200 in ONE DAY, and finished in that ONE DAY, and it only took one day, well then the video probably was only worth $700 :-) even if you can get $1200 for it.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Hi Marty

Absolutely!! The limo driver books just one job a week for $700.00 and his limo at 10 years is still an asset and has earned him $350,000 ...if he sold it after the 10 year period for a measly $30K he still has earned himself a gross profit of $310,000 for working just one day a week!!!
We definately need to look at the big picture as we all get quiet periods and there will be times when the season is just too cold or wet or work but things later make up for the so called slack times when you think that life is unfair.

Maybe he would be happier doing a graveyard shift in a factory for $8 an hour week in and week out??? I doubt it!! All in all we have a pretty satisfying job despite the complaints.

Me too.. the day after the shoot is definately a rest day!! I don't think people realise how much effort and physical activity is involved.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques