A new highlights clip (2nd one) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 8th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A new highlights clip (2nd one)

Ok gurus and gugals, here is my next effort. Let me know what you think.

http://www.motionfish.com/TTD_weddings/Peeker.html

Contest time. Name two people I draw inspiration from.....

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Great job Mike. I like how your highlights clip spanned several songs. Good choices by the way. Very good exposure and colors- good clean editing.
I like how the pace changes once the ceremony starts. Good job on building up to the bride's entrance as well. Rythmic and timed well.

It's a shame you ended up with one of those photographers that walk behind the officiate during the service. I wish they wouldn't do that. The close up shots of the couple in front of the officate were a bit under exposed. Obviously because they were in the shade on a sunny day. The only option you have at that point is to adjust the exposure for their skin and let the background blow out. Either that or add supplemental lighting which I don't like to use during ceremonies anyway. Outdoor weddings can definitely present a new set of obsticles. I think you fared quite well.

The shots never hung on too long and kept my interest throughout. Good use of various angles and focal lengths as well. I like your style. It was a fantastic piece and I'm sure the couple is going to be thrilled. Thanks for sharing Mike.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This I like

Well done!!!!! - this is the kind of style I like in a highlights package. Binding and you are always waiting to see what comes next

I must echo Glen's sentiment on exposure - sometimes we are not presented with the ideal opportunities. Focus exposure on the individuals you want to capture and if the rest "blows out" it only adds to the mood of the moment and also "wows" them - more often than not they thinks its good camera work - sometimes these things count in our favor!!

Apart from the slight "shakiness" on certain shots, you did well to capture the event. Please don't think I'm criticising, I see these clips and it makes me more aware the next time I'm out on a shoot. Thats waht sharing these clips brings to us all - awareness and constructive criticism.

Cheers
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input gents, I agree 100%. We had an exposure issue between A and B cams. I think I will work on improving communication between operators. I exposed for the subject and blew out the back and he tried to find a middle ground. A little planning ahead would have helped.

I appreciate your input and never, never pull any punches. I look at critical points as opportunities to grow, not shots at my work. I sincerely appreciate the time you two took to review and comment on the piece.

Cheers

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That was a lot of fun to watch! Nice job!

Questions:
1. How many cameras did you use? Two?
2. What kind of cameras?
3. Type of lens?
4. What type of editing software did you use?
Colby Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Coby,

Questions:
1. How many cameras did you use? Two?

I use two manned and a third "safety" unmanned. They are all PD-150's.

3. Type of lens?

I use a variety. During most of the shoot I use .65 wide angles (Century Optics). I will also use a .3 fisheye for some stuff, mostly establishing type shots but also some people shots. If the light is good during the reception I will also set up way, way back somewhere and use a tele lens for some long candid shots. I love these.

4. What type of editing software did you use?

All Adobe. Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Encore and Photoshop.

Hope that helps!

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques