3D video response at Wedding Fair - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #16
Inner Circle

you can probably propose a simple system, compatible with bluray or cheap digital video player (as long they can play 60p).
just make a 60p movie (30 left+30 right interleaved) that can be played on almost any TV,
add a cheap kit to drive lcd shutter glasses (can be found at less than $100 for a wireless glasses +driver).
or sell them a $250 3D monitor like the Zalman with a netPC (about 300$).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Trustee

I can't comment on the technology you propose but for now I see the value of 3D video primarily as

1 a way of separating us from our competitors in the public's eye

2 adding a small wow factor at the reception

3 gaining us PR

There's a contemporary thread here about the marketing of wedding video which suggests it's something people feel is difficult enough already. Persuading the clients to buy even more kit might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

On a related issue I'm presenting our Fuji system to my optician next week. She's an intelligent, contemporary lady open to modern developments so I don't expect innate negativity - I'll report anything relevant.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

the problem with all new technology is you cannot comment on value of it if you are not able to also apply/use it.
It would be difficult to sell 3D weddings if you just provide the customer with the content and no way to look at it.
Rather persuading them to "buy" something, you can also include the hardware in the service, so it is seen as a benefit for the customer.
"hey look !, they shoot our wedding in 3D and they even give us a bluray player and the 3D glasses !"
People are more likely to invest in expensive products if they can see immediately the return.
Would you buy a bluray player if the discs were announced to be avaialble only in 8 months ?
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #19
Trustee

Francois, I agree, but you appear not to have read the complete thread or my website for I am specifically not proposing that people make an open-ended, un-costed commitment.

Firstly, in my model there is no commitment by the client. Secondly there's no cost to them unless they take up the future option which will, of course, be fully priced before they have to decide.

Instead I am recording part of their ceremony in 3D and showing it to them and their guests in 3D at the reception, free of charge. My previous message merely reflected on the value of that policy to us.

Whereas I've bought the relatively low-cost Fuji option, Steve is taking the alternative option of developing his own technology before marketing it which is a perfectly respectable way to approach the market. He obviously doesn't share my reservations about the medium/long term viability of 3D (about which we're all guessing) and is prepared to make a more substantial investment than I am.

Having said that I think his direction has greater potential than the Fuji system I'm using so I'm watching his progress with great interest and, I believe he knows, encouragement.

If anyone deserves your opprobrium I suggest it's the guy on television suggesting that he'll actually produce a 3D wedding now for $55,000. Since he doesn't say otherwise I assume that'll be a "single" camera. For that the clients will get a television and equipment on which to watch it (but presumably little else) although he doesn't say what medium he'll deliver on. If that doesn't sound like kite-flying I don't know what does.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #20
Major Player

Phil, you are right I will be flying by the seat of my pants. But in reality the first 3D wedding booking is going to be for the 2011 season and this extra year will settle down what does and doesn't work. Active glasses and equipment to view the footage will more than likely have to be factored into the price of the package, which will bump the price.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #21
Major Player

Update.

I exhibited at a two day wedding show this weekend. Last week I went out and shot some 3D footage of the local church and Abbey. The edited 3D clip lasted 2 and a half minutes.

To show the footage at the wedding exhibition, I took along my PC, an Alienware 3D monitor, and a pair of nVidia active shutter glasses. Used the nVidia 3D player. It all worked perfectly.

Results. A complete, unmitigated success.

I had a queue of people at one stage waiting to view the 3D footage. I must of heard the comment " Wow!" about 120 times. And the footage I was showing was pretty boring to be honest. A few shots of the local abbey, some gravestones ( which did make good 3D) and a local market taking place next to the abbey. I got brides reaching out in front of them trying to put their hands through the screen! It all caused a serious buzz around the show with other show exhibitors coming over to see what was going on.

The other videographer there said it was just one big gimmick and was not happy. But the majority were completely blown away.

I am shooting a wedding this coming Saturday. It's a small job of ceremony and speeches, so I have told the bride I will film some extra footage for her at no extra charge, which I will shoot in 3D ( she will be receiving it in 2D). It will be handy footage to play and experiment with.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #22
Trustee

Congratulations Steve. I wouldn't bother about the naysayer - I bet there were a few people telling AG Bell, S Morse, T Edison and J L Baird (to name a few) their bits and bobs were a gimmick as well.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques