DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Educational workshops in our industry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/474468-educational-workshops-our-industry.html)

Rochelle Morris March 9th, 2010 08:23 PM

Educational workshops in our industry

Education in our industry is a funny thing. There are lots of courses available either at independent organisations or formally run schools.

After attending the still motion workshop, I feel somewhat revived with some new inspiration. From this, a group of attendees have decided to further provide education via workshops, and I'm wondering how important these sorts of things are to indvidual producers.

We're looking at hosting a Sydney based workshop in July with Jason Mags, Alvin from Mayad, Konrad Czystowski & Michael Wong.

For me and for those who I've spoken to, what we have 'learnt' was individual and what/how we apply it, will also differ. I know that it has been suggested that workshops can create a degree of homogeneous...however I would disagree

Sean Seah March 9th, 2010 08:56 PM

Sounds great. Looking forward to the details.

Robert Bec March 9th, 2010 11:28 PM

Email the details Rochelle when you get a chance

Rochelle Morris March 10th, 2010 12:58 AM

Sure thing Rob

Dave has posted details on his FB but will also send details - just need some clarifications first.
Dates are July 12-15 2010.

Expressions of interest will be taken soon.

Danny O'Neill March 10th, 2010 02:54 AM

You can choose to grow together or grow apart.

Workshops are great, they help people experience new ideas, new ways of thinking. We had our ways of editing pretty down and our business approach sorted. we were happy. Then we attended re:frame and not only the workshops but the social side helped us realise that there are different ways to do things. better ways.

Our editing speed increased and the work improved (I think). Our marketing changed, not to how people at re:frame said they do it but how we translated it into our own market.

All around us we see our local competition producing work which looks the same as it did 4 years ago and prices which are actually lower!!!! Those who I know have been to some sort of workshop now produce work which evolves year on year and prices which just go up.

Are they a magic formula? No way, but they get the old brain juices flowing.

John Moon March 10th, 2010 02:36 PM

Rochelle.

Personally, i think the more education that we have the better. As an industry, until the last 3 or 4 years, it has been relatively flat, unispiring and stagnant. I really think that things started to be more progressive and this help foster the creation of ReFrame and InFocus. Look for more unique educational opportunities to sprout, as it should. If you look at the photography industry, they have been establishing cool little workshops here and there and they are abundant. This helps with raising the level of professionalism and it also contributes to exposing you to improving your craft.

There is so much more to it than that though. The networking is great and it create avenues for referrals and also makes it more conducive to collaborate with another studio.

Daniel Cartwright March 10th, 2010 10:18 PM

Danny,

Very well said... VERY well!

Everyone takes something different from these workshops and that is something I hope can give to the people who attend.

We are all in it to learn and improve our work.

Cheers,
Daniel Cartwright

Brett Griffin March 10th, 2010 11:17 PM

Where in Sydney and for how much $$$

Where in Sydney are you looking at holding this and what sort of $ are you expecting. Sounds interesting. Can you email me the details when they are available.

Rochelle Morris March 11th, 2010 02:25 AM

There will be more information posted soon on the AVPA sub-section & we will be taking expressions of interest.

I was just looking at another photographer company via AIPP and really appreciate the amount of workshops that various studios and the association provides.

Hmmm...it's good that we catch up in Australia