DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Photography Video Combo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/475260-photography-video-combo.html)

Luke Oliver March 21st, 2010 08:58 AM

Photography Video Combo

I was thinking about asking a photography business where i live to team up and offer clients a photo video combo package with me . Im sure it could clean up nicely where i live but am worried i would then alienate all the other photographers who a the moment are good for referrals.

Does anyone have any views as to wether clients would like this kind of offer??

Cheers

Luke

Philip Howells March 22nd, 2010 12:04 AM

Luke, this depends on how good your relationships with photographers really are. My view and recommendation, as you may know from other postings, is to be independent, create your own business. If you rely on getting work from photographers you'll always be getting their scraps, but frankly that's all you deserve because you're using them to do your marketing for you. The biggest downside to my view (and I recognise it honestly) is that it's more expensive to be independent. But running your own business is very different to just producing videos and isn't for everyone.

I assume you're considering producing a new form of product between you? If you're just teaming up but still offering separate, traditional products, then I see little benefit, either to you, the photographer or the client.

In on the other hand, you perceive a benefit in producing what we call fusion videos (and do so with a photographer who, like us retains his own business) and I think you're right. As the form (a combination of stills and video plus portraits and a small album of formals) becomes more known and seen then there may be a reaction from photographers but since we can show a cost benefit/product benefit to the client I think they're going to find it hard to compete. What's their option? "Ours is the better product, it gives you less and costs you more, and it's the traditional way." We always recommend our pal and he us, it's as simple as that.

What I wouldn't worry about would be photographers bad mouthing you; a) if you run your business honestly (as I'm sure you do), offer a good product and have high integrity, all publicity is good publicity and b) the public knows that people who waste time own time bad mouthing someone else generally have something in the other person to worry about.

Perhaps the only codicil is that perhaps as some other readers won't know, I recognise you are working in a island market, some distance from the mainland. In your position my first question would be "is the market big enough to support you and your product?" if your success relies upon someone else failing then you have a bigger mountain to climb.

Paul Mailath March 22nd, 2010 03:58 AM

I'm looking at a similar scenario - my choice is to contract photographers and control the promotion, payment etc. I can offer the client a 1 stop shop for images - either still or moving. the cost of promotion I hope will be minimised by moving me up the line to a choice with other photographers.

I don't like being at the end of the line and certainly don't like being at the mercy of photog's recomendation.

Scott Hayes March 22nd, 2010 05:18 AM

I sell as many of them as i can. I shoot the photos and use my B crew for video. works out great. We control everything. One problem you are going to run into, is NO established photographer is going to shoot a full service wedding for less than what they would charge, unless they absolutely need the business. Shooting for someone else for less than what you would normally charge for the same service makes you look like a chump.

Luke Oliver March 22nd, 2010 05:32 AM

re

Hmmm, very interesting

In response to Paul

"I assume you're considering producing a new form of product between you? If you're just teaming up but still offering separate, traditional products, then I see little benefit, either to you, the photographer or the client"

Even if the product of both are myself and the photographers work is the same as it is at present , surley offering a combo packgahe , perhaps at a slight reduced rate for both parties ( but not by much ) would encourage more bookings. Almost like a 2+2= 5 senerio.

Cheers luke

Jawad Mir March 22nd, 2010 07:26 AM

I agree with Philip. The whole idea of having other companies work underneath you is a bad idea to begin with. Unless you have someone like your wife, sister or brother who is a pro photography and you want to take him/her for it, then it's different.

We offer photography, only because my sister is a photographer otherwise it won't work. There is no harm in building relationships where you guys recommend each other but bringing them under one umbrella will bring you more stress.

Think about it, you are being responsible for someone else' work and style. And he/she want they can lay out demands any moment after they know you love their work

Danny O'Neill March 22nd, 2010 09:54 AM

A downside is that other photographers wont refer you. They may be worried that your deals or sales may try to convince the couples to goto your partner photography team.

Also dont assume you will cleanup. People may like your video work but not the photo style.

Luke Oliver March 22nd, 2010 11:13 AM

re

thank u very much for your kind and honest responses

I shall certianly stay solo

Cheers

Luke

Scott Hayes March 22nd, 2010 11:53 AM

they also think they should get a discount, when in fact the price should be MUCH higher since there is a ton more work involved. you have 3 crew people, book binding, editing video, editing photos, burning dvds, etc... I have found it needs to be at a certain price point or it just isn't worth the hassle.