Your 7D Compression Settings using MPEG Streamclip? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Your 7D Compression Settings using MPEG Streamclip?

I'm using MPEG Streamclip software until I get the new Canon Plugin for converting to ProRes to work. I shot in 1920x1080 30p and want to convert it to ProRes LT. What settings are you guys using to get the file size down as much as possible but still have it look great.

The first option MPEG Streamclip gives you is do you want to export it as QT in the drop down box. What are you guys selecting there? I've been selecting "Export to QuickTime" or is their a better option?

Then I choose my destination and then the Compression Drop Down big box comes up. I choose Apple ProRes 422 LT and Sound as MPEG-4 AAC.

Now frame size is a little confusing cause they have 3 1920x1080 choices to choose from.

Do I choose the 16:9, Unscaled, or HDTV 1080i option.

I don't want to have to rerender the clips in Final Cut if I can avoid that and the file size doesn't seem to change much for instance a 700mb clip only went down to 600mb.

This is for a wedding video on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Thanks.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kelly,

The Canon/FCP plugin is available:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct

Should answer all your questions about transcoding:

Canon Professional Network - Frame rate conversion

ProRes is a constant bit rate. The only way to lower the bit rate is to lower the frame rate or pixel count.
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Joel. I did install the new plugin but I get the "unexpected file format" error. Will try it again.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Did you reboot after you installed it? That might help. I got the same message but I'm using the T2i. Just thought I'd give it a try to see what happened. Didn't expect it to work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques