Doing a sweet 16 with an XH-A1 and a T2i...any tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Doing a sweet 16 with an XH-A1 and a T2i...any tips?

This is the first time I am doing an event with 2 different types of cameras and know matching will be HELL in post, but nonetheless I must tread on. What are some of the things I should look out for? I am sure I should use the t2i for the close ups/artsy/detailed shots and the XH-A1 for more "safe" wide shots.

BUT, if you guys have ever dealt with a situation like this, please pass the knowledge.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Major Player

I use an A1s and a 7D - and matching in post is not that bad at all, in fact they cut together really well, IMO. I use the A1s for my "mission critical" footage such as the isle shot of the bride & groom at a wedding, locked down on a tripod. I also use the A1s to record my audio feeds. The 7D gets all of my mid and closeup shots, and it works out perfectly.

As for advice, I'd say find the XH-A1s presets (you can search for them on DVInfo) and shoot with relatively flat color profiles for both the A1 and the T2i - (for the T2i that means turning sharpness and contrast all the way down). By doing this you'll start with flatter images in post, and then you can better color match your footage when you grade.

Regardless of the presets or whether you color match in-camera or in post, I think you'll be surprised at how well these two cams cut together if you shoot and expose properly.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Arif,let me know how it turned out. Am I correct,the T2 has a 12 minute record limit?Let me know how you worked around that.

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
This is the first time I am doing an event with 2 different types of cameras and know matching will be HELL in post, but nonetheless I must tread on. What are some of the things I should look out for? I am sure I should use the t2i for the close ups/artsy/detailed shots and the XH-A1 for more "safe" wide shots.

BUT, if you guys have ever dealt with a situation like this, please pass the knowledge.
Arif the two cameras have different looks to them all together. I'm actually editing a sweet 16 now. If I can go back and do this job again I would only use the DSLR or only use the XHA1. Everything took place at the reception site. If there were different locations then it's easier to use the two at different times. I'm really getting discouraged at how much different the look between the two really is. Sometimes I prefer the XHA1 and sometimes I prefer the T2i. The safe bet is to just use the XHA1 as the safety cam shot and shoot primarily T2i if you want to use your T2i. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. The different look between the two is quite striking.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I also have an XHA1 and a T2i. For the A1 i always use the TrueColor preset. This seems like it gives me the most latitude when correcting in post, which you will need for mixing T2i and XHA1 footage. Then do what Bill said and flatten the colors down on the T2i. Depending on your location and the amount of light you have available you'll have to decide which camera will work best. If your outside for ease of use I would go for the XHA1. This way you can adjust your built in ND filter on the A1 if there's too much light, and not sacrifice increasing the aperature so you can get some nice shallow DOF shots. Otherwise when its too dark for the A1 bring out the T2i with a nice 1.8 or 1.4 lens.

I usually go by this rule. If i cant get a properly exposed image with -3 decibles of gain then switch to the T2i.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Aaron, you are a solo camera man? I have usually done solo work but since I have 2 cameras, I was thinking of getting a friend to help me out, but the learning curve on both these cameras are steep so I don't think that would be wise. I guess I can have the T2i around my neck and have the XH-A1 on hand and switch up when need be.

Monday Isa, how do you go about shooting a sweet 16? This is my first one and unlike a wedding, these events are not very structured. In my head all I am seeing is just a bunch of highlights and cannot imagine anything longer than say 20-30 minutes. How long are your sweet 16 edits?
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Arif,let me know how it turned out. Am I correct,the T2 has a 12 minute record limit?Let me know how you worked around that.

Thanks!
You are right in saying the t2i has a 12 minute limit, but all that means is you can only record for 12 minute spurts. You can easily press pause and and start again (this would reset that 12 minute limit). I don't expect this to be an issue because there is rarely a situation where I would be recording for 12 straight minutes without a pause in between.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
Monday Isa, how do you go about shooting a sweet 16? This is my first one and unlike a wedding, these events are not very structured. In my head all I am seeing is just a bunch of highlights and cannot imagine anything longer than say 20-30 minutes. How long are your sweet 16 edits?
The Sweet 16 edit I just finished is 1hr and 6mins. What Nationality is the family of the Sweet 16 girl/boy? I only ask because different cultures do this type of party different than others. That way I can get a better idea of how the party could go for you. You can easily do a 45min - 1hr 15min video. Again depends on the style of the party.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

This is a Guyanese family. They do not plan on having any special entrance or anything so that takes a way a good chunk of "intro" footage. If you dont mind, can you explain the "chapters" of your edit. What I mean is, how would you say the video is divided? Getting dressed, entrance, food, dance, gifts....things like that.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Well I haven't had one of them yet ^_^

The chapters from the recent job was: prep, entrance, greetings/food, raw dancing, photo studio session, raw dancing, 16 candles, cake, raw dancing. They had a photo montage and also interviews I did for them. Hope this helps. I would imagine the family would enjoy a lot of the dance footage but then again I'm not sure. On this specific job there was no highlight. On others I typically do them.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Arif,

Up until I got the T2i I have been doing all my gigs solo. I would almost suggest for this situation just choosing one camera, unless you plan on using two people.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards just using the XH-A1. I have been aching to use the T2i on an event but I think this is not the time. Not only would it be difficult to switch up, but the t2i looks like a novice piece of equipment and I just am not too comfortable with it just yet...but believe me it will get its work soon.
Arif Syed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques