DSLR Focal Length? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

DSLR Focal Length?

It seems like more and more wedding videos are being filmed with DSLRs such as the 5D, 7D, T2i, etc.

My question is about the zooming capabilities of the lenses vs. camcorder zoom. I'll use my Canon HV40 camcorder as an example: It has a 10x zoom, or a 35mm equivalent of 43.6 - 436mm, according to the Canon website. For ceremonies, my 10x zoom barely cuts it (I'd much rather have an XH-A1s with 20x zoom!).

So the question is to those that are using DSLRs as their primary or only video source - do you have issues getting tight shots of the B&G in venues that require you to film from the balcony or behind the crowd? It seems like you would have to have an extremely long lens (more than 400mm), which for many of us is cost prohibitive.

I'd love to switch out one of my HV40s for a T2i, but that is my main concern. I found a Canon 400mm ultrasonic lens online for about $1000. Not sure if all that would be worth the DoF.
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My DSLR is for the glam shots only. I use my A1 for the long shots and all my audio. The longest lens I have for my DSLR is a 28-200mm.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Michael,

using dslr has its good and bad. Its not as easy to use as the normal video cameras. However it gives you a lot better images.

The dslr will be able to pretty much give you any possible focal length. for example, a 70-200mm on a 7D (crop sensor) will give you around 112mm-320mm which is pretty far.......

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques