Vendor backed out their contract... what to do? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Taky,
I have to ask, is it common in your area to have a seperate MC and DJ?

I ask because around here the DJ generally acts as the MC.

I'm just curious about different areas typical ways of doing things.
Don, MC and DJ could be different. Some couples will have their friends to be the MC so they only need a DJ (for the sound system and play music).

I noticed, all the Asian MCs I worked with, they do a lot more than other non-Asian MCs. They are REALLY hosting the reception by standing on the stage, leading games, bring people to do things and get the party going. Other DJ/MC that I worked with, they usually just stand behind the DJ booth and do the talking.
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Just a thought, but if "the other vendor he doesn't like" has caused a serious problem in the past, and he found that he would be trying to work with a difficult person/vendor again, I think the "business decision" to pass on the job might be one we would all consider the most professional solution.

It's hard to know without knowing all the particulars, but cancelling one job to take a higher paying one is unethical. Backing out of a situation you know could be uncomfortable or possibly cause harm to the client (and apparently offering a 20% termination bonus to "compensate" the client for the inconvenience) looks bad on the surface, but in some circumstances (and we really can't know without knowing a LOT more about the situation) may be warranted.

Let's say for argument that you find out a bride booked a photographer who deliberately sabotaged your efforts at an earlier wedding, resulting in a substandard deliverable video (and for this reason you work with a photographer and recommended them to the bride but she passed)... do you work the gig, with the risk the clown will ruin another wedding for you AND the client, or do you back out as gracefully as possible?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dave,

Well, I know the entire fact but I can't share too much. What I know is the DJ lost his bid of an extra service to another vendor. So he feel inferior and back out like that. He admited it wasn't because of another job. In fact, he told me he didn't have have another job that day. It's all made up to try to punish the customer for not picking him for the extra service. So the whole thing has no business element in the decision. It's all personal.

I understand what you mean.. if I know my customer booked these photographers, I will back out the contract too. Don't want to work with these guys anymore.

Old April 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Wow, I wanna punch that guy and I wasn't even there.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I usually tread the middle ground in that they are also doing a job - but these people saw the video camera and deliberately sabotaged the shots. They knew the havoc they were causing, and behaving like that, with no consideration of any kind to the work of the video people is insulting. Looking at their kit, there was also no necessity to work that close.

Amazing!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #21
Regular Crew

wth.... I'd hate to do the video in an event with those guys....
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #22
Trustee

Going back to the topic of backing out of a contract, imagine this scenario that happened to me years ago.

A couple booked a wedding package with us, they ordered about $2000 worth of services for their wedding day. Our policy is first come, first served. After their booking was confirmed and set, I got a call from another couple who wanted to fly us to another island where they're getting married, and wanted to order about $7,000 worth of services on the same day that was already booked by the first couple. With all the travel, equipment shipping, and meal expenses, the second couple would spend around $11,000 total on us. Both couples insisted that they wanted me to be the person shooting. What would you do?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #23
Regular Crew

You could try this...

In all seriousness, ethically you should keep the first customer. You can negotiate with the first customer, oragnising another camera man but you edit the photage... Even if you hire another videographer for them and pay their expenses you will proabably make more money.... but the first customer should at least get some incentive....

I'd hate to be in that situation...
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #24
Inner Circle

To us, it's whoever left us the deposit check will get the service. If both inquires about the same time and they both want to book you, then I will consider which couple will be more fun to work with and which gig I make more money out of it. If I was presented the two clients you have, I will go with the $7000 one since I got to travel too =)
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #25
Regular Crew

DJ telephoned on the wedding day!

I was at a wedding last year at the home of the bride, who wanted some video shots before she got ready.
She received a phone call on her cell phone and after a quick conversation with the person on the phone, she looked at me shocked and said, that was the DJ for tonight, he has just told me that he won't be there because he double booked and is going for the higher profit wedding.
She then ran towards the bathroom, and I could clearly hear her crying. She was in the bathroom for over an hour she then came out angry and very upset. Her brides-maids took over and were ringing up different DJ's to get a booking for that night.
They managed to get one. I don't know what was charged but it was a higher price, but she was happy something had got sorted.

I have no idea if there was a contract between them or not, but looking at the scenes of that morning, it was totally unethical, morally wrong and what a time to tell her, right on the morning of her wedding day.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I was presented the two clients you have, I will go with the $7000 one since I got to travel too =)
I was already booked for the first, $2000 package when the $7000 one came in.
Since it's our policy to book first-come first-served, I had to suck it up and honor the first couple. The second couple was going to book only if I was the one to be shooting their wedding, which was impossible. I tried to persuade the second couple to change their date. That wasn't possible because some of their out of town guests had a small window of opportunity to travel. Eventually I honored the first couple, and lost the second gig. I don't know if they found someone else.
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe View Post
that was the DJ for tonight, he has just told me that he won't be there because he double booked and is going for the higher profit wedding.
Yes, that is totally morally wrong and selfish.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #28
Inner Circle

It's funny I got an inquiry on wedding in June that they will pay for all expense to film the wedding in SC (I'm in Los Angeles). Too bad I am booked already.. I have to honor the contract that the first customer signed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques