Wedding and Event Shoot equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 5th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #1
New Boot

Wedding and Event Shoot equipment

I am currently moving into shooting weddings and events more often and i am looking at upgrading all my equipment to ensure i have quality gear to ensure i can get the quality of product i am looking for.

My editing system is all set to go, as i edit on final cut studio 3 with a brand new macbook pro. I currently shoot with a sony HVRA1P hdv camera. i am going to keep this unit as i have a custom built water housing for it and it is perfect in the water, with wide and fish eye lenses. i have shot a couple of weddings with it before and the results it produced wasnt to bad, except when in low light it performs pretty poor, any thoughts on continuing using this camera as a backup?

I am currently looking at the Sony NX cam , i am looking for your opinions on whether i should go for this camera and if there is any other camera i should look at? also what sound recording equipment, lighting equipment and steadycam i should go for, and whether i should look at a 5dmkII as 3rd camera? There is going to be 2 of us shooting the events.

i am basically looking for the best valued equipment that is going to produce professional results and is going to stay fairly modern for some time.
Jon Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jon

I shoot on 2 x Panasonic HMC cams so if you are staying with Sony it would make sense to maybe get another A1 ??? You might struggle with two "un-matched" cameras.

At the reception I use a single 4 x 50w CFL light setup with a softbox and then an on-cam LED light which works well.

Audio is a matter of taste..I prefer to still use radio mics (one on the groom and one on the lectern for the readings) but a lot of people are using H2 recorders. Guess I am too lazy to sync my audio in post!!!

I shot on stedicam over the 2008/9 season and the 2009/10 season but have just sold it!! It was really just too much effort to rig up for a photoshoot. I shoot my photoshoots handheld now and with a 1.25m glide track and get great results and no wasted time getting in and out of a vest to run after the bridal party!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Hang on till NAB before making any decisions!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques