To those of you who use vdslrs (5d, 7d, T2i), can you post a pic of your rig? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock View Post
That's what they make quick release adapters and plates for, but don't tell anyone... it's a secret! :)
I was going to say the same thing.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Secret is out. I bought one recently too :)

I think the point we are all trying to make that if your work speaks for itself, you don't NECESSARILY need anything extra to make yourself look good.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Monopod, tripod , flycam, glidetrack--all have Qrs
good for the starters who are tight on budget.
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
We aren't going to add anything to the camera that we don't need on it.
No fancy shoulder rigs, matte boxes, viewfinder enhancements, etc. Pretty bare and still quite functional.
Travis, I agree with you 100% the camera will give you the same result without all the fancy stuff, we get so caught up in making the camera look so complicated and not take advantage of the simple approach of shooting video that this camera allowed us to do.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawad Mir View Post
Honestly, the rig is great to have especially for controlled productions like Films, Music Videos, Corporate etc but for weddings, depending on who your target market is. If you are charging people $20-30,000 / wedding than obviously walking in with DSLR and tripod is not going to cut it.

In reality you can make whatever you want with limited tools. And like Travis said, unless you have 4-5 different cameras, each ready for different set up, it's almost impossible to go between slider, steadicam and tripod and monopod shots

:)
Two things.

First, I know of a few studios managing to charge $10-25k per wedding and they use DSLR's. The key is to educate your client beforehand that your work is more important than your equipment. Maybe I missed your point though.

Second, we use quick release plates as someone else mentioned. So I regularly go from handheld, to tripod, to Merlin, to slider all with the same camera. My earlier point was more than I don't want a bunch of extra stuff on the camera if I don't need it because that can make swapping more difficult.

Anyways, that's all I had. d;-)
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
Travis, I agree with you 100% the camera will give you the same result without all the fancy stuff, we get so caught up in making the camera look so complicated and not take advantage of the simple approach of shooting video that this camera allowed us to do.
For sure. And sometimes that extra gear can actually hinder our ability to produce better work. As with anything, just make sure your tools serve a purpose.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #22
Major Player

Travis, I agree about educating the client. It's so important in this day and age and I exactly said what you said. Use the tools for using it not for show and using it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques