WEVA Expo 2010 coming. What was your previous experience /review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Im a newbie and have read about WEVA Expo 2010.
Does anyone have a Weva expo experience? Or can someone post the class schedules last year?
Was it worth going and becoming a member?

Im 50-50 on whether I will go or not . i hope i get any feedback on previous WEVA experience by people here.
thanks,
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Definitely go. You will not regret it.
Fred Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Major Player

I had just started my business when I attended WEVA last year, and I absolutely loved it. It gave me a chance to get a huge concentrated bit of information at once. Also, the trade show let me try everything that is current in the market and it was perfect timing, because I was deep into making the decisions about what cameras I should get when I was there.

I think that for experienced videographers WEVA offers a great chance to network, and I'll be returning this year. However, the majority of sessions seem more designed for newbies than experienced videographers, although there are still sessions for both.

I would say if you're a newbie you should definitely go - you will not regret it.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I went to the web site and everything was coming soon except the hotel reservations.

I would like to find out more about schedule, speakers, price, etc... before I make a decision.

Does anyone know when the info will be updated or have a link for current info.

Thanks
Mike Brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Tourist

Weva

I'm still not sure I'll attend. Just about 9 weeks away and still no exhibitors listed, still no conference program listed. That seems a bit strange. I may save my money for the GV expo and NAB. I have been to both of those conferences and both are great and very affordable.
Bill Moede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Major Player

I will recommend to go try for yourself. My first visit was last year and from that day the to do my business totally changed.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Trustee

I did attend a couple of years ago, but won't be going back soon. Here's why...

1. I learned "new" things from WEVA, but so did my local competitors. When I came back home to implement these "new" ideas, so did they. Same shooting style, same editing style, even same camera and accessories.
2. 95% of the information you get from WEVA are either products or concepts that can be acquired online.

The good thing about WEVA is that you can write off the trip as a business expense and take some time off to play:)
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Major Player

time off to play was better in Vegas. read the message boards, watch videos from other top professionals and you'll be just fine. take the money you save on going to buy some new toys.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

With events like InFocus (infocusvideoevent.com) which I heard will be in New Orleans this year I don't think WEVA is really as relevant as it used to be, it just seems so old school these days. plus, who in their right mind wants to go to Orlando?

Just my to pennies, I know others will disagree.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm interested to go.. but I can't find much info on the web site. Do I need to be a member first? I find any register and cost info on the site.
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Taky, if you are referring to in focus, I don't believe the 2011 event has been officially announced yet, it should be announced very soon, and then all the info will be available on their website. I went to the one this year in Austin, and it was AWESOME!!!
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I was actually thinking of WEVA... but definitely would be interested in attending InFocus too.

and thanks for fixing my name =)
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #13
Major Player

I am so not ready to go to WEVA, don't have enough of my business put together yet to where it makes sense for me to take the time and invest the money at this point. I would consider purchasing a DVD of the speakers and their presentations..... but...the Wedding and EVENT Video Association DOESN'T put out DVDs of their own EVENT.

Heck, I might even pay for a video stream of their speakers, live, but in the 1970s mindset of flying into some place, staying in a hotel, eating in restaurants, renting cars, and finally getting herded into a big room to hear a speaker....WEVA doesn't do that either.

If WEVA shot weddings like they plan to disperse information, they'd be wondering why a slide projector and a polaroid just doesn't cut it any more.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #14
New Boot

Weva

You can go to Wedding & Event Video Expo 2010 to see the speakers and exhibitors. More exhibitors being added till EXPO. Hope to see you there.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Chip,

Actually to be fair, WEVA did a virtual conference a few months back where they did exactly what you describe on the web - vendor "show" and all. They had several presenters do webinars and overall it was pretty well-received, I think.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques