DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Voice Recorder Lavalier Mic HELP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/476735-voice-recorder-lavalier-mic-help.html)

Mark Hendren April 13th, 2010 10:59 AM

Voice Recorder Lavalier Mic HELP

I would like to get a DVR to put in the groom's pocket and have a lav coming out of it. The only one I've seen talked about on here is the Olympus model that Taky has.

Anyone have any other suggestions. Also, Taky, do you have any samples of audio out of the lav mic that you use?

Thanks!

Mark

Travis Cossel April 13th, 2010 12:02 PM

There are several posts covering this topic so you might want to do a search and get some additional input from those sources.

We use Olympus DS-30's to mic the groom and the officiant and we use some fairly inexpensive Azden lav mics and the quality is excellent.

Mark Hendren April 13th, 2010 12:13 PM

Thanks Travis,

I know you and I have spoken about this in the past, but I'm really looking for the lav mic models more than the voice recorder. Most of the posts I can find talk about the recorder and then say the people just use "a lav mic" to hook into it.

I guess my question would be, do I have to have a specific kind of mic (i.e. unpowered, with a power supply, etc.) or can I just use any 3.5mm lav mic?

Thanks!

Travis Cossel April 13th, 2010 12:23 PM

I don't the know the model of the Azden lav we're using, but it's just a basic lav mic with a 3.5mm connection .. not powered. We actually didn't plan to use them originally, and were going to buy a more expensive set of lav's. But we ran a test when we got the first DVR and were blown away by the quality, so we just kept them and used them. Just make sure you get a nice furry windscreen if you're going to be shooting in breezy situations.

Mark Hendren April 13th, 2010 02:31 PM

Thanks as always for the help, Travis. Congrats on the move. My best to you and your fam!

Cody Dulock April 13th, 2010 03:42 PM

I purchased a omni mono lav mic from giant squid audio and it sounds pretty darn good and it was only $25. The owner hand makes them. I use it with a sony voice recorder which is similar to the olympus Travis listed.

Howard Neill April 13th, 2010 04:01 PM

We have used five Giant Squid Audio Lab mics for nearly five years. We are very happy with them.

Cheers

Travis Cossel April 13th, 2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hendren (Post 1513894)
Thanks as always for the help, Travis. Congrats on the move. My best to you and your fam!

No problem and thanks! d;-)

Jim Snow April 15th, 2010 06:07 PM

Giant squid also has a very good low voltage condenser lav mic. Some recorders such as the Zoom H2 will power it. No doubt a number of others will as well. They are very good with support and will confirm if your particular recorder will power it.

Andrew Waite April 20th, 2010 12:43 PM

I personally use the Tram TR-50... I have 4 of them. They are more expensive ($250 each), but totally worth it to me! They are amazing! Much better than the Sennheiser ME2 and ME4 that I used to use. I have them wired for Sennheiser (mini jack) and they work exceptionally well with the Olympus DVRs I have. I have 6 of the DS-500M and the funny thing is they all sync perfectly with no drift at all!

Taky Cheung April 20th, 2010 11:18 PM

Mark,

I'm using the lav mic from Olympus too. You can take a look here
Wireless Mics vs Voice Recorders | L.A. Color Blog

This is the mic

You can listen to the outcome with the voice recorded
On-Camera Shotgun Mic Audio vs Digital Voice Recorder | L.A. Color Blog

and this is something not so related
Lav Mic Failed in Action | L.A. Color Blog

:)